Installing programs on an external hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

swibit

In Runtime
I know you can install 'portable' versions of many commerical and open source programs on a memory stick. However is there anyway you can install full working versions of commerical/open source software without having an operating system installed on the drive and obviously I want these programs to work wherever I plug my hard drive. Meaning how would registry keys and stuf like that work?
:crazy:

No it wouldnt. If they have Registry Keys and App Data folders then it wont work as those are part of the OS drive and would not be installed to the External.

Could I install them on my OS drive and then copy the files over when not in use to my external.. and then when i wanna use the program again.. just copy the files back to os drive

No, you are missing the point. There are registry edits that say 'hey OS, look on C:\program files\test to find this program.' There are also other files associated with the program and OS.

These aren't files that can just be copied and work on the external drive or another computer.

In short, no you can't do that.

Could I install them on my OS drive and then copy the files over when not in use to my external.. and then when i wanna use the program again.. just copy the files back to os drive

No because you would corrupt your Registry by doing that and possibly brick the OS install. It cant be done simple as that. The only thing is portable apps. Since they are growing in popularity you might start to see them offer the option for portable installs, but until then you are outta luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom