installing OS

Status
Not open for further replies.

motley

Beta member
I would appreciate any advice on installing windows98SE on a reformatted HD. Having reformatted I put my CD into Rom drive but it didn't recognise drive; it was displayed prior to reformat. Is there any other way of loading OS?
Thanks in anticipation of support,
motley

Visit http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm .. Download the file .. Insert a blank floppy .. n' run the file u've downloaded .. it will create a boot floopy .
Then boot the formatted machine with the floppy ..
Go to the CDdrive letter from the prompt .. Run setup from the Win98 CD..
That's 'bout it :)

You have to change the load priority on your BIOS so that your computer will look to your CD-ROM before your HDD.
You can also load it using a formatted system diskette if you have one available.
Depending on your BIOS, load priority may be located in different place. If you post some specs, we'll be able to help you better.

can't find CD drive

Thank you guys for your replies. Unfortunately the computer doesn't recognise the CD drive although I can put a CD in it. If u could tell me how to set the BIOS I would be extremely grateful.
kind regards
motley

Assuming u have a generic bios(since u haven't mentioned ur hardware).. Hit del when the system starts up .. U'll find an option to set Boot Sequence or Boot Priority ... Change it there to Cdrom ..if u want to boot from CDrom .. If u wanna use a floppy to boot up the system .. then change it to floppy

i can tell you this right now; if you dont know how to install windows take it to a friend or to a tech that knows how. After you install windows you will need the drivers for your devices. Your not even sure how to get into the bios ? best of luck

Thats the thing dude.....we are here to help him. This IS a tech forum. I, personally, will try and provide enough help to get motley's system up and running JUST to prove you incorrect. (And because we care). I know that I will have people backing me up here that will help him also.

***Motley***
When you boot your PC, in the beginning, you have a normal boot screen that tells you the name of your BIOS type. It will say "AWARD BIOS" or "PHEONIX BIOS" or something like that....please post the name of the BIOS that you have.

-Mike

k4hscorpion said:
i can tell you this right now; if you dont know how to install windows take it to a friend or to a tech that knows how. After you install windows you will need the drivers for your devices. Your not even sure how to get into the bios ? best of luck

By the way....I have NEVER seen this kind of post on here before. It would be appreciated, especially if you are new, to wait until all possible ends have been met and troubleshot before the "client" is referred to somewhere else....This is a GREAT forum and I feel that we will do are best to get him straight.

-Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom