Installing a new hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Him

Fully Optimized
I feel like a moron comming here to ask this questionn, seeing I do know what I'm doing with computers. But I cant figure it out, and I know that this forum is the best place to come. Here it goes.

I just procured a new Maxtor 120 GB 7200 RPM drive for my computer. I have an AMD Athalon 2400XP+ 2 GHz, 512 MB RAM, GeForce mx440 64 MB Video card. Nothing too big, nothing fancy. It is running Windows 2000 Professional. I have the drive plugged in, set as a slave. The BIOS reads it as a slave and every other spec it is supposed to see, even Windows sees the drive, somewhat. The device manager reads it, but I cant seems to access it. Nowhere can I find an entry into this 120 GB hard drive that is seemingly working properly on my computer.

Not that familiar with 2000. Does win2000 have disk management?? If so, just run what ekÆsine told you then right click the disk and select format and itll open a small window asking the specs you want. Youll want NTFS for a HDD that size. Its pretty simple if win2000 has the same DM that XP does. Let us know if that works. If not you can always FDISK it.

Nah, Fdisk didnt feel like working. But, yes, disk management worked flawlessly. It did everything it was suppose to, and now I am up and running. Thank you. One thing, however, that I cannot figure out is the drive letters. Hard drives are always suppose to come before any disk drives, right? (exempt is, of course, the trusty old floppy) I got my C: drive, my CD-RW which is D:, my DVD which is E:, and my enw harddrive which is F:. Isnt my new harddrive suppose to be D: and everything else pushed up a letter?It's not like I'm freaking out or anything, just curious as hell because I always though that was the way to do things.

I think that the hard drives had to be set that way with Windows 95 and 98 (maybe even Me), but 2000 doesn't care.

this is also easy to fix. go back to disk management and right click the cd-rom and disk. select "change drive letters"

Him said:
Hard drives are always suppose to come before any disk drives, right? (exempt is, of course, the trusty old floppy) I got my C: drive, my CD-RW which is D:, my DVD which is E:, and my enw harddrive which is F:. Isnt my new harddrive suppose to be D: and everything else pushed up a letter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom