INSTALLING my new card

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diabetic

Daemon Poster
Yep, got myself an FX 6800 GT :D

Anyways, last time i bought a graphics card (FX5700) i could not install it myself. The problem was that getting the old card out was hard enough without touching any components so i was worried as hell about breaking my PC. Anyways, i finnaly pried the AGP card out of its slot after a LONG time. Their was a wierd little 'button' on the side of the slot that had to be pulled out before the card could be removed, anyhow, it was highly awkward. So, i took my PC over to my uncles (a techie dude) and he fitted the card and then installed the drivers (tho i can do this)

So, now i am worried that i'm gonna not be able to do it OR break my £230+ card ($400+) What i want to know is a good way of removing the old card and fitting the new one. Any VIDEO tutorials on fitting an AGP card? Or can you peeps give me a GOOD description on how to fit the card and take out the old.

I really need help with this one :eek: :eek:

- Cheers

1) make sure you are grounded, remove the screw holding card in

2) slide the card lock to the right

3) gently rock the card left to right while pulling up

4) put in new card, push down firmly to properly seat, dont worry its not as fragile as you think.

5) slide lock left to secure card

6) put the screw back in, put you panel back on and fire it up

Well the best advice I can give you is this....you simply gotta be more tough with it.

That was my problem when I first started I didn't want to touch anything, but really...they build these things pretty tough...Unless you're dropping it on concrete or something then you really don't have to worry. Components are sometimes made to make a SNAP! noise while sliding into places which can be scary.

The AGP's now-a-days always come with a little lock.

Just push the lock down and yank out the card...really nothing more to it.

Like they said though just ground yourself. Grab onto something metal to make sure you're grounded and go about removing the card.

Sometimes it can take more force than you'd think to put it in the slot but that's assuring good contact.

Basically you just gotta get over your fear of breaking something.

Don't be ridiculously stupid while handling it and make sure to always ground yourself and you should never have a problem.

Unlock the lock, yank out the card, stuff in the new one :D

you can always refer to your manual that came with the card too, especially if you want the step by step instructions right in front of you as youre doing it. but yeah, like everyone previous to this post said, the cards are more durable than youd think, but just dont be ridiculous with it.

it can be a daunting task when you dont know what everything in there does, but as long as you stick with what you know and what the instructions are telling you and dont start poking things in the case you should be good to go. its always fun doing something yourself and having it work, very rewarding :D you'll enjoy it when you get everything working.

No just touch something metal before you remove/install the card, just to discharge the satic electricity built up in you that could fry the card. I was also in your position long ago, and after doing it once you'll see how easy it is. :)

the 1st thing to do is uninstall the old v card drivers then shut down and swap them out

Hmmm, think i may just get my uncle to let me do it under his guidance. Need to take the PC up their anyhows, he needs to borrow it cause of the burner....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom