installing IDE HD on mobo with SAT HD? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-02-2004, 12:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default installing IDE HD on mobo with SATA HD?

I have an asus p4p800s, with a 120G SATA hard drive installed with WinXP.
My Secondary IDE is used by my CDR.

I have an empty Primary IDE.

I would like to install an IDE hard drive, and use it as a slave, while booting from my 120G SATA.

The IDE already has WinXP installed, and the pins are set to Slave.

Problems I am having:

I installed the IDE drives into the Primary IDE port. When I start up, my bios detects all drives, but for some reason, I cannot select the SATA drive as a bootable device anymore.

When I attempt to boot Windows, I get an error saying "Windows could not start properly".
I can select "Safe Mode, Start Normally, etc." No matter which selection I make, the computer reboots (like hitting reset or something) and starts all over again, and same error comes up.

Old 05-02-2004, 03:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

it is called Serail ATA (SATA) not SAT. SAT is a test that measures how much bullsh*t you retain in high school. i think all you would need to do is set the correct boot order in CMOS setup. have you tried making SCSI your first boot device?

Old 05-02-2004, 11:41 AM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Default Re: installing IDE HD on mobo with SAT HD?

Quote:
Originally posted by vihena
I have an asus p4p800s, with a 120G SAT hard drive installed with WinXP.
My Secondary IDE is used by my CDR.

I have an empty Primary IDE.

I would like to install an IDE hard drive, and use it as a slave, while booting from my 120G SAT.

The IDE already has WinXP installed, and the pins are set to Slave.

Problems I am having:

I installed the IDE drives into the Primary IDE port. When I start up, my bios detects all drives, but for some reason, I cannot select the SAT drive as a bootable device anymore.

When I attempt to boot Windows, I get an error saying "Windows could not start properly".
I can select "Safe Mode, Start Normally, etc." No matter which selection I make, the computer reboots (like hitting reset or something) and starts all over again, and same error comes up.

What version is your bios? Revision P4P81016 is out, and before that ...15 had a drive fix in it.
Old 05-02-2004, 01:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

I'm hoping that it's not a BIOS problem, and it's just me hooking it up incorrectly... I don't want to flash my bios unless it's absolutely necessary.

How am I supposed to hook the drives up? What goes where? What are the pin settings I should use? I'm going to try hardware connections first, and if I have it set up correctly, and I STILL can't get it to work, then I'll have to consider flashing my BIOS.

The drives are detected in bios, (including my SATA) but I cannot select my SATA drive as the primary boot drive. It's just simply not there!

When I select my boot order, I can pick my IDE drive, my CD RW, and my floppy, but nothing else.

Any help is appreciated, thanks!
Closed Thread