installing generic usb hub

Status
Not open for further replies.
When you go to specify a driver from the list, aren't there any standard/generic drivers listed under USB controllers?

No but normally in the manufacturer list, theres an entry called standard or generic (often at the very top of the list).

yes i see generic and a few standard options but there is nothing for USB hubs there or USB controllers. I have ran a hub off the same computer and same port before and it installed ok.

Out of interest, what do you have listed under the generic/standard option?

Also, what is XP detecting the hub as being? By that, I mean is it detecting it as a usb composite device, usb hub, usb controller etc

detected as a USB device. under Generic i think i have a printer option and a variety of options under standard. if you click on install hardware in your control panel and pretend to install something you can see the exact list*

I was being lazy about checking out XPs Add hardware list (my system dual boots 98,xp & 2k but I use 98 for the internet so had to reboot into XP then back to 98!)

Did what you suggested, XP gave me a listing for Generic usb hub but as I have a hub installed anyway, this wasn't surprising.

Sounds like windows thinks your hub is a usb device as opposed to a usb hub. I notice you have USB2.0 on mobo & USB2.0 hub. Have you installed the USB2 drivers for the controller that came with the mobo CD?

Also, if you look in device manager under USB section, what do you have listed there & are any of the entrys disabled or have exclaimation mark on them?

thanks for the help mate. im kinda new to this so bare with me ;P.

How do i find device manager, usb section?

also i have installed anything on the motherboard CD, i had it upgraded, new mobo etc by Mesh and I assumed they would have done all of that.

Device manager is in control panel :
or right click on 'my computer', click manage, then select device manager.
You should see a list of different types of hardware (eg display adapters, hard disk controllers etc). At the bottom of the list, there should be an entry called USB controllers. Click on the + sign to expand the list, & you should see the names of usb controllers etc listed there.

Let me know whats listed & see if it mentions USB 2.0 as the version for the usb controllers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom