Installed new Heatsink+Fan now comp will not start.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProBaller25

Baseband Member
So guys i installed my new THermalIntake Copper core heatsink from maddog the one with the Adjustable fan speed controller for my p4 3.0 gig. then i shut my case and go to power it up and nothing happens! =-( When i took the old heatsink off the chip from the mother board was stuck to the bottom of it so i took it off applied more of the thermal paste stuff and put it back into the board. then i put the new heatsink on with the fan and pluged it all in. Now the thing want even turn on. I put the orignal heatsink i took out of there back in just to see if it was that and still nothing.. I think im getting power becouse there is a green Led lit up on the mother board it self.. WHAT THE HECK DID I DO! im so mad now, im at work pissed off for the day cause my comp is probaly totaly messed up PLEASE I NEED HELP!!! Thanks for looking and or replying.

Some things to check or look for; it is feaseable the fan controller limits are shutting off the fan upon power up. Is the fan control plugged into the cpu 3 pin marked for cpu fan. When you apply power to the unit does the cpu fans come on for about 5 seconds and power off??? Are you powering the unit on by the push button on the front of the pc or thinking because the power switch is on it will power up??
I have given you enough to think about, others more up on this will show up soon and help.

Um...just to get the stupid stuff out of the way...

1. Check the PSU switch.
2. Check all your cables.
3. Make sure you attached the new heatsink's power cable to the mobo, and that it's on correctly.
4. Make sure all your stuff is seated correctly.
5. Make sure you haven't damaged, moved, or forgot to lock-in, your processor.

After all that...and the original heatsink doesn't work...sounds like maybe you didn't wear your rubber longjohns. Static might have crapped something out. You may also have damaged something during the installation.

If you're getting lights on the mobo, are any of the components working? I mean, do any of the other fans spin, do the HDDs spin up? Does your CD-ROM open? Do you get a POST at all?

Nothing at all hapens when i go to turn it on. The fans dont spin nothing works what so ever. I guess ill go check everything again God this sucks so bad =-(

also just for $h!ts and giggles, reseat your vid card, make sure no thermal paste got anywhere but on the die (no paste should be gooping around the edges)

Damn i hope i can figure this out i apreciate some of these pointer's ill let you guys know when i get home if it works or not. If not i guess ill be posting tommorow at work again =-/. I new from the start i shouldnt have messed with it cause i really dont know to much about the inside's of computer's but the directions and stuff where pretty much self explonitory. Also does removing the chip on the mother board reset everything? COuld the heat sink not be sitting right on top of the chip causing it not to run? Anyone live near Mass ill pay you to come help =-)!!! lol

i'd suggest taking the heatsink off, cleaning the thermal paste off with isoprophyl alcohol and reapplying the thermal paste.

why can the thermal paste actuelly cause it not to work? Also when im holding the chip how should i go about doing it so i dont screw things up even worse. is it ok to touch the back side where the thermal paste is applied? I know i cant touch the front side where all the pins are.

why can the thermal paste actuelly cause it not to work?
No. snipped insult albeit not profane
Also when im holding the chip how should i go about doing it so i dont screw things up even worse.
You only want to hold the chip by its edges, with really clean hands. The less finger-grease you get on the chip, the better. Set the chip cleanly into the socket, and then close the lever to lock it in. If you did it right (it should only go in one way, but I've seen people force it without knowing) the lever should come down nice and easy and you shouldn't have to heave on it. Then just put a drop-sized bit of paste on the chip in the center, muck it around a little so that it covers the whole of the little chip in the center, then put yer heatsink on (carefully). If you did it right, you should have enough paste to not make any gaps (ie - enough that it doesn't get smooshed off the chip, doing nothing) but no so much that when you press that heatsink down it squirts out the sides onto the mobo.
is it ok to touch the back side where the thermal paste is applied?
Yes. But be VERY careful.
I know i cant touch the front side where all the pins are.
You can, but it's not advisable because you can have small bits of dirt and grease on your fingers that you can't detect, that can muck up the gold pins. Plus it's real easy to bend the pins.

Ok this strap u speak of that comes down onto the chip to hold it in? I dont have that on my chip it just sits in there when you put the heatsink on it kinda latchs on either side to hold it in. I pretty much did it exactly how you described in your post. Could a messed up heatsink cause the comp not to work?like the metal grate looking thing if its bent in anyway could it cause it not to work? just a question. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom