Installation of new HDD

Status
Not open for further replies.

electoshack

Beta member
Just added a WD 160GB hard drive on to my computer which already has a 40GB as the main drive. But for some reason it only shows up as a 127GB. Anyone know what is happening???? It confuses me.

Thanks

I had the same the prob, i bought a seagate 140gig and turned into a 111gig hd which is wierd, must be all the drivers that takes all that space up i think.

Re:

Hello,

What motherboard and BIOS do you have? Some motherboards and BIOSs can only accept and handle a certain total of HDD capacity.

If this isn't the case, you may want to make sure that you've partitioned and formatted the new drive.

And :D...also, you may want to check the jumpers on the HDD. Some Hard Drive have jumpers which restrict GB availability, so that they can be utilized by older systems.

Does the drive show up correctly in the Bios?
If it doesn't, chances are your Bios has a 127GB limit on the size it can recognise. You may be able to update the bios to solve this though.

If its OK in the Bios, it could be a limitation of your OS - Win98/ME can't handle anything over about 125GB properly due to certain 16 bit applications they contain. Which OS have you got?

I believe this is a very familiar and common WinXP problem. Try installing SP2 if you dont already assuming you are infact even using WinXP.

If you're not I believe it's an OS related issue and windows not seeing all the storage space

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom