install a 2nd cable modem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How were you planning to run a modem into it if the cable won't reach?

Routers are usually between 50 - 100$, depending on what you get.

CrazeD said:
How were you planning to run a modem into it if the cable won't reach?

Routers are usually between 50 - 100$, depending on what you get.

an ethernet cord wouldnt reach, cable coaxal is split to every room, so i'd just plug coaxal into it as i have this one.

so i guess i'm assuming just buying another modem wont work? and i need this router

how do i set a router up, what parts do i need?
i'd still like to know why a second modem wouldnt work since i already have braudband

Purchasing a 2nd cable modem will work. I used 2 modems for a while at my house, one in the living room and one in the bedroom. I noticed a speed difference due to the splitters behind the living room.

If you decide to go with another modem just contact your service provided to make sure the modem works. Sounds silly I know but some modems and services just dont work together.

If you wanted to set up the other computer to be on a wireless network it is quite easy but can be time consuming. You would need a wireless router which would plug into your current cable modem and a pci wireless card for the computer in the other room. You can follow the instructions that come on a cd/dvd with practically ever wireless router purchase to set it up and make it secure so your neighbors cant access your wireless network.

Now depending on how far apart your wireless router and computer with wireless card are you may need a range extender and thats about 50+ dollars and can be difficult to set up. Personally I would go through the trouble of using a cat5 cable. Just plug in the router, plug in the cat5's and your done.

2 modems will compete for bandwidth- leading to inefficient use of it. A router will much more efficiently accomplish what you are trying to accomplish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom