Info on large hard disks with Win XP pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prof. Plum

Solid State Member
I posted a message a while ago, I said I would post again with the result.

I built my own PC :- IC7 Max3, 1 Gb RAM (crucial), Sony DVD rewriter, Serail ATA Maxtor 160Gb, Leadtek FX5950 A380 ultra.

The problem :- Hard disk was only recognised as 127Gb after WinXP Pro installed

To recognise hard disks bigger than 127 or 137Gb you have to install service pack 1 (SP1), after this if you go into disk management (right click my computer, manage, storage, disk management), then you can see 26Gb that is unallocated, basically reformat this portion and give it a drive name, I chose E: cos my DVD was on D:

Anyway that's what I did, but I'm new to this. There is a file for 48LBA enabled, Maxblast 3, etc.... but I didn't have to do this

if you posted this question likely someone answered back with SP1. can you tell me what your thread subject was named or some keywords you used in your thread so i can search for this thread?

you may be able to use partition magic to merge the unallocated space to combine into 1 large 160GB partition. i hate how people always suggest Partition Magic , but this is one of the times it is useful.

if it was me i would save all data and recreate the partition into 1 large 160GB volume by installing winxp sp1 onto another hard disk, slave this 160GB disk and use the winxp sp1 running on the other disk along with disk management to re-partition the 160GB disk into 1 large 160GB partition

my question is why are you using any partition over 120GB? creating a 15-20GB partition for the operating system and create a partition for data would be more efficient. when you reinstall winxp you could use norton ghost to create an image of winxp partition onto the data partition. when winxp fails, restore the ghost image back and you're back in business. compared to manual winxp re-install it takes ghost 5 minutes versus 3 hours +

I posted this thread on the 2-11-2004. I was told about SP1 then, but I read a lot about enabling 48 LBA, using Maxblast3 (I have a maxtor 160Gb), but in the end found out that SP1 did the job.
When I checked the allocated space on my hard disk it said that it was 160Gb, but I'm new to this so I didn't realise I had to format the unallocated space.

I haven't got another hard disk so I can't install Win XP on another disk. For my 160Gb, how best is it to partition it?
I haven't got any data or software on it yet, but I do have partition magic.

Also if I want to install software on my pc, should'nt I keep this as C: drive ? I'm thinking about partioning it as 80 and 80Gb is this Ok? Have never used partition magic, I hope its easy.

Could I create an image of my Winxp onto CD? How would I do it?

Thanks for your info, must now try to sort out my graphics card problem now :)

System:-
Win XP Pro
Motherboard IC7 Max3
Hard Disk 160Gb Maxtor SATA
Sony DVD rewriter
1Gb RAM (crucial make)
GeForce FX5950 A380 Ultra

a common mistake people have this 50/ 50 when planning out partitions. your operating system needs no more than 15-20GB for windows. think about all that space being wasted. i recommend a 20GB partition for windows or less.

the rest of the space allocate to a second partition and use this to store all data like word docs, spreadsheets, music, movies, pron, whatever you have. use ghost to create partition-to-partition image of the 20GB operating system partition and save this image to the second data partition. when you want to restore the image just select the file on the other partition.

What about any other packages I want to install, will I have a problem cos they'll be searching for the C: drive to install their stuff?

Thanks for your help

no, just make sure when you install a new program/package to change the directory that it is stored in. Say when you get the screen that asks if you want the program in C:\program files\EA Games\MOHH for example, just change the C: to D or E or F or whatever partition you have set aside for your programs.

Prof. Plum i mistakenly told you partition-to-partition , this is not correct. it is called partition-to-image to create image, and partition-from-image to restore image.

the 20GB operating system partition should store all programs. this is the procedure i use:

lets say i have a 160GB maxtor hard disk

-create 15-20GB primary partition for operating system, format with NTFS

--allocate rest of free space to another logical drive in an extended partition for storing data. you could just make a primary partition, but i recomend logical drive. format with NTFS

-install winxp on 15-20GB OS partition

-install all my utilities, programs, and set all of the settings exactly the way i want in windows and the programs.

-use ghost's partition-to-image option to create image

when winxp has problems or is corrupt i will do a "partition from image" to restore image.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom