increasing my fps during gaming

Status
Not open for further replies.

natedogg42

Baseband Member
i bought joint ops a few weeks ago but the fps i get are horrible (anywhere from 2-10)

I have:
1.6GHz P4 256k L2 cachewith 400MHz FSB
512 MB SDRAM 133MHz
GeForce 5700 Ultra ...it's a DELL Dimension 4300

I was having the same FPS using an old GeForce Ti3 something or other 64mb video card and got the 5700 but am having about the same fps

I also tried using a celeron 2.4GHz L2 128k with both the 5700 and the ti3 but they all produce about the same fps, there really isnt a difference even with the same video settings....does anyone know what the limiting factor is???

btw, i have the latest video card drivers and im not overclocking anything/heat isnt an issue...

thx

Hmmm...you seem to have pretty slow RAM and a small L2 cache. How big is your power supply? Also, are you trying to play with all settings maxed and AA and AF turned on?

the power supply is not very big (250 watts i think)

settings were a mixture of low-normal
when i turned all the settings to off/low, i could get in the 10-20 fps range with both cards/processors which i think is still crazy, when the settings are maxed with the 5700, i get 2-5 fps
aa and af are off

my brother is having the same problems with his computer (pretty much exactly the same fps)....i know its a pretty demanding game.... he uses

2.4GHz P4 512KB L2 Cache
GeForce 4 MX 420 64MB
256MB PC1066 RDRAM

i know the ram is kind of low but in games like SOF2, the computer can get fps of 125 (well above the monitor refresh rate) easily with an average usually around 100 when in the thick of things

btw, sort of unrelated, i dont notice a difference when using the 2.4GHz Celeron 128k cache and the P4 1.6GHz 256k cache....which do you think would be better to use...?

You need at least a 300W power supply at BARE MINIMUM to get performance out of a GeForce FX 5700. You really need 400W. 250W will just not give you good performance. I tried to install a GeForce FX 5700 in my old HP with a 200W power supply, and I was getting around 3 frames-per-second in Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic. Try getting a new power supply. It also wouldn't hurt to get faster RAM.

i was afraid of the power supply thing....thats one thing i didnt even think to check when the computer was bought like, 3 or 4 years ago, i didnt know crap about computers then....since then i found a few articles about how not to buy a dimension pc for that reason...apparently dell mobos are only compatible with dell power supplies and they ship crappy power supplies......

when i started up my pc the first time i forgot to attach the power cord to the 5700....wasn't thinking lol... and it gave an error saying that there was not enough power to the graphics card when windows loaded to the desktop, wouldn't it give me the warning if the power supply couldn't cut it?

lol..HP computers are the same way, which is what I bought last year. The whole power supply thing is the main reason I built, because I HAD to have a decent graphics card.

any idea where i can find a dimension 4300 power supply and/or dimensino 8250 power supply? (not the stock 250w)

I don't think it can be done, if its anything like my HP. They don't want to you be able to upgrade, becuase they want you to buy a whole new computer from them. Its best if you build your own computer.

"Q: What are the minimum system requirements to run Joint Operations: Typhoon Rising?

Answer:

VIDEO CARD:

* DirectX 9.0 AGP video card with 32MB & HW-T&L required. 128MB or greater recommended.
* Compatible 3D cards include: nVidia GeForce 2, 3, 4, 59xx, 6xxx and ATI Radeon 9500, 9600, 9700, 9800, X800.
* We do not support the following video cards: ATI Rage, FireGL, NVIDIA Quadro, TNT/TNT2 and Vanta chipsets,Kyro,Kyro II, Intel 810 and 815, SiS, Xabre, Matrox chipsets. Video cards without pixel shaders or with less than 128MB ram will not support all graphics features.

OPERATING SYSTEM:

* Windows® 98, ME, 2000, XP

CPU TYPE & SPEED:

* Minimum: Pentium® III 1.2 GHZ equivalent
* Recommended: Pentium 4 2.4 GHZ equivalent

MOTHERBOARD:

* Minimum: AGP 2X
* Recommended: AGP 4X

HARD DRIVE SPACE:

* 1.5 GB available

SYSTEM MEMORY:

* Minimum: 256MB
* Recommended: 512MB

MEMORY SPEED:

* Recommended: 266 MHz DDR (PC2100) or better

CD-ROM SPEED:

* 16x or greater CD-ROM drive

DIRECTX:

* DirectX 9.0b required. Click here to get it!

SOUND CARDS:

* Windows compatible

CONTROLLERS:

* Windows® compatible mouse

INTERNET:

* Minimum: 56k internet connection
* Recommended: Cable modem or DSL internet connection

Q: Is there a map editor included with Joint Operations: Typhoon Rising?

Answer: There is no map editor included on the Joint Operations CD. An editor will be made available for download shortly following the release of the game.

Graphic Card / Video Issues

Q: IÂ’m having display/graphics problems with my ATI Radeon video card. How can I fix them?

A: At the time of writing, there are a number of known issues with the Radeon 8500, 9000, and 9200 cards. Most can be fixed by installing the latest Catalyst drivers from the ATI website, version 4.5 or newer. Some of these issues are scheduled to be fixed with the Catalyst 4.7 drivers, which will be released shortly after the Joint Operations initial retail release date. If this doesn’t help, setting shadows to “Off” in the Options menu might also fix these issues.

Q: I get a black screen when using my ATI Radeon 9800 video card. How can I fix this?

Answer: There is a known issue with the ATI Radeon 9800 where the use of full scene anti-aliasing cannot be used in conjunction with frame effects set to “high”. Either setting alone is acceptable but not together.

Q: How should I configure my video options?

Answer: The easiest way to configure your video settings in the options menu is to make use of the “Default” “Performance” and “Quality” selections on the options menu. These will configure your video settings to pre-arranged levels based on your system performance. The "Default" settings are the recommended settings that the game chooses after the initial video test, "Performance" settings are optimized for fast and fluid game play, and "Quality" settings sacrifice some performance for higher quality graphics.

You can use each of the individual settings to fine tune your performance levels to optimize game play. Keep in mind when changing settings that resolution, anti-aliasing, texture filtering and frame effects tend to affect performance most drastically than the other video settings. Should you have performance issues, these are the settings you should try lowering first. "

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom