Increased buffer size? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 06:19 PM   #1 (permalink)
Him
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Him Send a message via Yahoo to Him
Question Increased buffer size?

I worked at Staples, and I had a guycome in once looking for a DVD burner with a really big buffer size. The bigest one we had was 2.5 MB, and he said that was way to small and taking a step down. He told me his buffer was 20 MB!!! I know they dont sell (yet) DVD Burners with that size buffer, and he told me he did it himself, anway. He said his buddy had a program that would do it. I wanted to know if he was right, and, if so, how to do it. Or was he just shooting smoke up my maximus?

Old 05-05-2004, 06:31 PM   #2 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

I have the feeling he's talking about the software buffer itself. For example, clone cd. the drives have a small buffer size themselves, but what he is talking about is buffer used by the software. kind of think of it like this. hardware buffer would alike to computer memory. software buffer would alike to virtual memory (HDD). so, in a way he's right, but he's right in such a wrong way

I am not a fast writer.
I am not a slow writer.
I am a half-fast writer.

-Robert Asprin
Old 05-05-2004, 07:32 PM   #3 (permalink)
Him
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Him Send a message via Yahoo to Him

Not sure I copy what you mean. No, wait, scratch that. I DEFINETELY dont understand what you mean. I'm a very smart computer guy, so dont think of me as dumb for not knowing what you mean.
Old 05-05-2004, 09:29 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Him
Not sure I copy what you mean. No, wait, scratch that. I DEFINETELY dont understand what you mean. I'm a very smart computer guy, so dont think of me as dumb for not knowing what you mean.
The cd-burner has its own RAM so to speak, its buffer. What buring programs do is they allocate a section of your computer ram and use it for a temp buffer. And in most cases you can tell the program how much to allocate in the system memory for that burning session.
Closed Thread