I'm in a real pickle...

Status
Not open for further replies.

I'mScrewed

Beta member
Hi guys :)

I hope that I am posting this in the correct forum.

(background)
I am an E.E. Technician (no degree yet) that learned the trade in the Navy. I got a wild hair implanted in my rear today, and decided that I would upgrade my VERY old PC. Well, I went to a Computer trade show and walked away with a Barebone setup.

For $250, I was able to purchase an Athlon 2800+ mounted on an Asus A7V8X-X board. This was installed in a cheapo chassis with a VPower 400W PS (all included in the $250 price). That pretty much maxed out my budget for the moment..........little did I know what was to come.

(my plan)
I was thinking that for $250, I really got a great deal. I could now just swap in my hard drive from the old box, and my ram, and my CD drive, and I would laugh my way to the bank. Unfortunately, I haven't been so lucky.

(my problem)
For starters, I discovered that the ram from my old box would not work in the new one. I had all SDRam before, and now I only have DDRam slots. So, I make a trip to Best Buy (only because I was really excited to get this bastard rolling), and bought two sticks of PC2700 256mb DDRam ($44 dollars a stick!!!!). OK, no biggie, I am now $100 over my alloted budget, but I should be good to go now. Not so...

I boot up my new box with the old hard drive, and I get nothing but Bios. After reading the manual thoroughly, I can only find one sentence about getting my old OS off my hard drive. That sentence was, "You must now install the OS".

(real problem)
I have no reboot disk, and I have no full version of XP home edition.
Years ago my friend installed XP on my comp, and I have no clue where he got it from or where he is now. I went to Bestbuy again to check out a retail XP version, and the full version was $200!~~

I most definitely cannot spend another $200, but I am really excited to play with my new toy. My question to you guys is, how the heck can I access my operating system from my hard drive??

(things that I've considered)
1. There is a command using DOS that will let me use the XP that I have installed on my hard drive?>>?

2. I thought about calling Compaq and getting a restore disk, but it came equipped with 98 and I'm pretty sure that wouldn't work.

3. Is there anyway to make my own restore disk?

4. Or....... should I just bone up and pay the $200 penalty for being a dumbass?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.....
thx,
Dave

Whats the boot sequence set to in your BIOS?

There should be SOME way to get this thing running, but its tricky...

I set the boot sequence to boot up Hard drive first....still just get bios or DOS

(thx for your reply, kind sir)

thx,

that is quite a price difference. The comp show is going on tomorrow...maybe I can pick up an OEM copy there for the same price.

Well its still costly but you can buy the full version of Windows XP Home from newegg.com for about 90$ Sure beats paying 200$ for it. It is an OEM version though so no frilly box and paperweight manual.

So when you go to boot up it just goes into bios setup or dos.When i Build a new computer I just put in the hard drive and it works at least with windows xp it does.Are you sure you have everything pluged in right.It shouldint go into bios on its own.when its i bios have you tried to set to default .Does it see your hard drive in bios.Send me an e-mail at splatoid1@yahoo.com maby I can help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom