If overclocking isnt my greatest concern... - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 02-14-2004, 10:15 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Question If overclocking isnt my greatest concern...

I bought my case, floppy drive, power supply, and 80 gig 7200RPM western digital HD for $100, the 2500 barton and abit NF7-S 2.0 are in the mail, and Im starting to get excited.

Now Im looking for RAM. Anyone have suggestions as to what type of RAM should I be looking for? Overclocking is not a great concern although I want good quality. The NF7-S has 3 slots that will support up to 3 gigs. Id like to max it out one day so I guess I should go ahead and get a 1 gig chip.

Any suggestions would be great.

Old 02-14-2004, 10:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

if u dont want to overclock but u want ok quality just get standard brand (micron) PC3200 DDR400 1GIG Memory.....here

http://store.yahoo.com/dccsale/bte1gbkit5x2.html

it is micron...which is like top of the line standard memory if that makes sense...lol

many people say standard ram isnt good but I have it and it runs just fine

Old 02-14-2004, 11:59 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

Default Re: If overclocking isnt my greatest concern...

Quote:
Originally posted by iamjero
I bought my case, floppy drive, power supply, and 80 gig 7200RPM western digital HD for $100, the 2500 barton and abit NF7-S 2.0 are in the mail, and Im starting to get excited.

Now Im looking for RAM. Anyone have suggestions as to what type of RAM should I be looking for? Overclocking is not a great concern although I want good quality. The NF7-S has 3 slots that will support up to 3 gigs. Id like to max it out one day so I guess I should go ahead and get a 1 gig chip.

Relax and enjoy what you have.
Why didn't you go to a local store ?
How much mem did it include ?
1/2 gb is all you need as my 5 minutes away supplier told me.
You decide now.I have 256 and doing just fine.
Old 02-15-2004, 04:12 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to Erik Send a message via Yahoo to Erik

Yes, dual channel is great. If you want 1GB of ram you're better off buying two sticks of 512mb. You're computer will run faster because it has two busses instead of 1. If all you need is 1GB, you can either go 2x512mb and stick them in the dual channel banks, or buy 2 1gb and stick them in the dual channel banks. It's up to you.

By the way, your dual channel memory slots will be closer together, while your third slot (DIMM 3) will be apart from them. If you're only going to be using one stick of ram, you're supposed to place it in DIMM 3.
Old 02-15-2004, 10:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Banned

Default Re: If overclocking isnt my greatest concern...

Quote:
Originally posted by iamjero

This might but have been overlooked.You have to use the type your mbd supports.eg:ddr,pc100 etc.
A name brand is best,and use the same brand and type in all slots.
Closed Thread