Idea: Copper CPU Head? - Page 3 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 06:58 AM   #21 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

yes if I could now only obtain a diamond crystal the twice the size of my fist so that I may make it a heatsink! Man if I were rich I'd do that **** lol and you know they'd be able to make a perfect smooth base

Old 08-31-2004, 11:41 AM   #22 (permalink)
Yon
True Techie

The head spreader is aluminum because if it was copper, the heat would stay in it and therefore still damage the cpu, whereas if it is aluminum, the heat gets transfared to the copper heatsink faster.

Corsair 1GB XMS2-4300
Antec PlusView 1000AMG Case
Maxtor 160GB SATA Hard Drive
Old 08-31-2004, 11:48 AM   #23 (permalink)
Yon
True Techie

Looks like Nubius was right: http://www.sei.co.jp/sn/2002/06/06p7t.html
Corsair 1GB XMS2-4300
Old 08-31-2004, 02:26 PM   #24 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Nubius- ona heat pipe type of heatsink... wheather the fins are copper or aluminum, thy are not molded together, thy are welded or soldered(witchever i dont know) after the fact. so im not shur myself, but i wouldnt take your word for it.. if someone knows a link or correct information, please post it.

and what Nubius was saying about diamond, is correct(mostly common sence- once u know about diamonds at least) diamond's are pritty much the answer to everything (almost, Im not joking, lol, im not)

if u didnt know... diamonds can be grown ina lab environment, to any shape or size, thy of course wouldnt apply this to production equipment like CPU's, obviousely cause the cost(and prolly resourcess).
Old 08-31-2004, 02:40 PM   #25 (permalink)
Monster Techie

maybe future procs will be make from home grown diamonds hehe. thatl be nice, but will eb a while b4 we start seeing that.
3x2GB g.skill
XFI GTX260 Black Edition
640 WD Caviar Black
Vista Home Premium x64
Old 08-31-2004, 06:12 PM   #26 (permalink)
Yon
True Techie

Well actualy, if diamonds became more common, through being manmade, then they wouldn't be as expensive, but by then there will be much better ways of cooling, such as liquid helium, which is cooler than liquid nitrogen
Corsair 1GB XMS2-4300
Old 08-31-2004, 07:14 PM   #27 (permalink)
Monster Techie

ya tru yon, but this is dealing with temps taht are WAY below zero, then u have problems with the heating in ur house, so that price will go up hehe. Ud hafta wear jackets in ur own house. hehe. And good point about the alu on the cpu head, thats what i was trying to say. makes sense now, hehe
3x2GB g.skill
XFI GTX260 Black Edition
640 WD Caviar Black
Vista Home Premium x64
Old 08-31-2004, 08:00 PM   #28 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Copper heat sinks conduct upto 3x more than aluminum. The dissipation is about the same. The big reasons for built pcs to usually include aluminum is cost and need. Most systems dont need copper. Before arguing they do, because I always have a heat problem, its actually NOT the heatsink, but rather the fan. You also would need more airflow for copper, if used for its intended reason. You would use copper when there are HUGE amounts of heat (dual xeon, wildcat and oxygen type power house vidcards, etc), and then its not because of the disipation ratio, but due more because its maitaining ALOT more thermal heat then most normal heat sinks. So to let you know, copper is better in all aspects, but usually not needed, just a better fan is needed with more flow per cubic. Also, paste helps transfer the heat and provides a cooler solution for the sink to sit on instead of directly on the CPU. As far as the fins, they are there to increase total surface area. So, it comes down to cost and if its even necessary.

I am not a fast writer.
I am not a slow writer.
I am a half-fast writer.

-Robert Asprin
Old 08-31-2004, 08:16 PM   #29 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by killians45
Copper heat sinks conduct upto 3x more than aluminum. The dissipation is about the same. The big reasons for built pcs to usually include aluminum is cost and need. Most systems dont need copper. Before arguing they do, because I always have a heat problem, its actually NOT the heatsink, but rather the fan. You also would need more airflow for copper, if used for its intended reason. You would use copper when there are HUGE amounts of heat (dual xeon, wildcat and oxygen type power house vidcards, etc), and then its not because of the disipation ratio, but due more because its maitaining ALOT more thermal heat then most normal heat sinks. So to let you know, copper is better in all aspects, but usually not needed, just a better fan is needed with more flow per cubic. Also, paste helps transfer the heat and provides a cooler solution for the sink to sit on instead of directly on the CPU. As far as the fins, they are there to increase total surface area. So, it comes down to cost and if its even necessary.
Well said and intelligent post

<marquee scrollamount=4 bgcolor=\"#000000\">Desktop: 3.0ghz HT 800fsb P4, Chaintech 9CJS Zenith, 2x 512mb GEIL Dual Channel DDR400, 80gb 7200rpm ATA HD, Sapphire X800 XT Platinum Edition, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS, Logitech Z-5300e 5.1 THX Speakers, Turbolink 420watt PSU, Black 19\" Orion Monitor, Logitech MX Duo and Win XP Home</marquee>
<marquee scrollamount=4 bgcolor=\"#000000\">My Wishlist: 74gb 10K SATA Western Digital Raptor...</marquee>
Old 08-31-2004, 08:26 PM   #30 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

thank you

I am not a fast writer.
I am not a slow writer.
I am a half-fast writer.

-Robert Asprin
Closed Thread