IDE RAiD HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

QBA

Baseband Member
Hi

I’m running Windows XP Pro, I have two IDE devices connected on the Pri_IDE port and two other ones on the Sec_IDE port, now I’m trying to get to work a working Hard Drive WD 250 GB with Data and NTFS partitions already on it, with not jumpers (Master) connected on the Raid port (Pri_Raid) on my mother board (Asus P4P800-E Deluxe) but windows can’t find it either under “Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Computer Management/Storage/Disk Management or using Partition Magic Either

Things I have done to determine if it was a hard drive problem:

- I tried the same have drive on other IDE port and it works fine so the HD seem to be healthy.

- I tried connecting another working hard drive on the same Raid (Pri_Raid) on board port with not result proving that is not a hard drive problem

- I tried setting up the jumper as a slave with not result so I put it back as master.

Things I have done on the Bios.

- I update my bios to the latest version from Asus web site (P4P8E006.rom)

- I set up on the Bios in the “Advanced tab/Onboard Devices Configuration/Operation Mode as IDE”, since I’m only using the one hard drive

- Every time I restart my computer the black booting screen say:
D0 WD230JB-00EVA0 232 GB Ultra DMA5
IDE BUS Master Enable
(Which I take as, the Mother Board has recognized the HD plugged on the Raid onboard port)

- I tried setting up on the Bios again on “Advanced tab/Onboard Devices Configuration/Operation Mode” this time as Raid and as was expecting it gave me a error saying that the array haven’t been determined or something like that meaning that is the wrong configuration because I’m using only one HD as IDE, so I put the Operation Mode back as IDE.

Things I have done on Windows:

- I downloaded and installed the latest Raid drivers from the Asus site (378raid_100137) but on “Device Manager/SCSI and RAID controllers/WinXP Promise FastTrak 378 (tm) Controller “ Windows still give me a yellow exclamation sign and a message saying “the hardware may not work properly”.

- I downloaded and installed the latest ATA drivers from the Asus site (378ATA) just to see if it could work and I got the same message saying the “Wizard could not find a better Match for my hardware than the software I currently have installed” so I install back the latest Raid drivers from asus with the same result.

Any other ideas?

thanks

Alex

I think you're problem is that your board only supports 2 IDE devices (1 per channel), I had the same problem, I would try getting the raid to work with 1 IDE device per channel and see if it makes a difference.

Thanks The51, do you mean setting up the Operation Mode on the bios as Raid? because I did that already, or do you mean setting the Operation Mode as raid but trying with two hard drivers rather than one?

The51, he only has 1 on each channel. he has at least 4 ports. one primary IDE, a secondary IDE and then 2 RAID ports. he apparently has 2 HDs connected and running to regular IDE ports, but can't seem to gte his raid ports to work. If there is no physical damage to either the HD or the port, than i seem to remember there was a simple solution to this, but i can't think of it right now. sorry :(

Thanks GageMW, As you said I have 3 ports on my mother board, one the primary IDE port with two IDE hardware installed already, The secondary IDE Port with two others hardware install already and a Raid port that is the one I'm having the problem with and all I have connnected there is the one wd 250 GB hd.

your board only supports 1 IDE device per channel you have 2 channels. That means 1 drive on 1 IDE cable.

Thanks The51, What do you mean The51?

My Asus P4P800-e Deluxe only support one IDE Device on the Raid port and for it to work I need to find me a IDE cable with only one plug?

I have only one Hard drive (WD 250gb) conntect it on that port as now, but the cable is a regular IDE cable with two plugs and I have it connect it on the end of the cable? will that matter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom