Is IDE ok for a server?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Musjunk22

Daemon Poster
I'm building my own server to host a website and maybe files for my home network. I was wondering if it would be necessary to have a really fast hardrive like10,000RPM with SCSI interface. I would much rather use SATA,but the mobo I have doesn't support SATA. Will an IDE 7200RPM drive be fast enough to use for a server?

I have posted another thread about this server.You can find it here: http://www.techist.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=21098

IMO I would have to recommend getting a SATA Controller, and use a SATA HDD. SATA Raptors (10k RPM) has actually beat out the SCSI (15k RPM) in both reading, writing and response time in MANY tests. They are very good for hosting a server, especially if you have them setup on a RAID Array...

Don't worry about going with Seagate (because they based the entire HDD on SATA)... No SATA harddrive out there (exept for the Raptors) can reach 150 Mb/s... So Western Digitals and Maxtors are just as good (they use a parallel to serial convertor).

The Western Digital Caviar (8 MB) SATA, IMO would be the way to go. They have been faster than any other SATA on the market right now (im talking about standard SATA @ 7200 RPM).

If u have anymore questions... I'll be checking back quite frequently... Good luck!...!

It really depends on what kind of hits you are expecting on this site. What kind of site is it? I would recommend just going with IDE first....but I'd also inplement a RAID array. Later on, when you see the actual traffic going in and out of the site, you'll be a better judge on how much more $ you want to throw into it. Ideally, a SATA RAID5 array or mirroring SATA RAID array would be my recommendation. But, thats getting a little carried away from the getgo.

This is from ek's and I's old site we had up....
RAID stands for Redundant Array of Independent Disks. Some early resources for RAID may show Redundant Array of Inexpensive Disks. The concepts have not changed. RAID is a technology method of installing 2 or more disks drives in a manner that would prove better performance for the drives. Some RAID methods not only improve performance of the drives, but will allow a greater fault tolerance for data. In researching RAID, you will find that there are many "levels" to RAID. Each level is different and one might use a level of RAID for a particular server setup, whereas another user might use a totally different level of RAID to fulfill another solution. Some levels of RAID can utilize at least 2 disk drives, whereas another level may call up to 5 disk drives. The level of RAID that you use will depend on cost, performance storage needs and data recovery speeds. Below is an excellent resource for uncovering the different levels of RAID. Although RAID technologies were mainly introduced for server-type computing needs, RAID has become more of a standard for personal computing as well.

This is my personal favorite for learning about RAID levels

So after reading the through levels 1 to 5 I think that RAID splits data apart onto seperate drives and uses multiple drives as one?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom