IDE Controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slibinas

Solid State Member
I wanted to add a new hd, so I bought a raid controller. I tried getting it to work, but it wouldn't recognize any of my hd's. I tried plugging in the cd and dvd rom drive, but same problem. It doesn't see them on raid configuration. What is the best way to make this work and why aren't my hd's showing up, I have a 60gb, 120gb, and 160gb hd's. I don't really care, but would like to hoop up 2 dvd rom drives to the contoller. Is that possible. Thanks.

I believe the hd's have to be the same size and speed, don't know bout hooking cd or dvd roms to a raid controller.

I don't want to raid the hard drives though, I just needed some extra slots, is there a way I could do that without having to raid.

but I already have this card, is there any way that i could make it work with this card??

Make sure you configure it correctly as master, slave or cable select.

the mother board should automatically detect the card or boot from your xp cd and press f6 to install your raid drivers

Slibinas said:
but I already have this card, is there any way that i could make it work with this card??

Ok, noting that you can NOT RAID those hard drives.. You need to put the latest drivers for the controller card on a "floppy disk". When you are installing windows you HAVE to press F6 when it asks you to.. This will let you install the controller drivers at the same time you install the operating system.

what if I update the drivers from current windows instalation. Do I have to reinstall windows?? Also, can I just have one hd, run of the IDE card, like PM and set that hd to master. Would that work??

No you can quit setup after you installed the raid driver, at the part when it ask you if you want to install windows, press f3

does the hd where windows are has to be connected to ide card. or can it be connected to mobo and the intall it that way. Also can I already have the hd that i'm gonna plug into the IDE card plugged in???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom