IDE CD/DVD Trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

daza_mate

Beta member
can anyone help me pinpoint a problem i have been having for a while

my dvd drive struggles to read discs sometimes, my burner wont burn on many cds and if it does not above 2x write. So in other words the dvd drive and burner just play up and i cant think of what else to try.

i updated my ide driver its the lastest one from the VIA website..

any commen problems that would cause this behaviour,

thanx

If possible could you get ahold of another DVDROM and/or DVDRW and try them in your PC
It would greatly sum down the problem to be the drivers or not the the drives.

If they are, then maybe they need some type of cleaning. Either them optical cleanser things you can buy or those discs with the little brushes on em.

If it still has problems with the replacement drives then apart from the cables themselves being the problem I cant think of anything else sorry.

(*Thinking: Hmmm... maybe the IDE controllers? Nahhhh...)

actually RoyalW it would make more sense to do the opposite and test this dvd burner that's having problems on another computer. if it works on another computer than he would know it is something with this one

yes i will try them on another computer , i did replace the cable there was no difference,

you have the wrong idea, i have a dvd player and a normal cdr drive ( so 2 drives ) and they both play up

I had this type of problem except. Except it was between my harddrive and NEW CD drive (It's just 56x cd drive).

During normal use of the computer, out of no where my D: (80 gig hdd) and my E: (CD drive) would just disappear. I lost access to both of them. I rebooted and it said on the boot screen:
"#$$JKJ$#@L$!#$:L!K:LK$:L!K%:L!#$K#)%(%()#@*$"
for both of my drives. I went into the bios and it didn't detect them.

I later replaced the IDE cables going to both of them and what do you know, they worked great. They still are working great, too.

This isn't the same problem as you, but they are close. I would recommend replacing any or all cables going to your CD Rom drives to see if something is wrong with them. Mine didn't have any types of cuts or anything on them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom