IDE CD/DVD Trouble - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 12-14-2003, 04:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Question IDE CD/DVD Trouble

can anyone help me pinpoint a problem i have been having for a while

my dvd drive struggles to read discs sometimes, my burner wont burn on many cds and if it does not above 2x write. So in other words the dvd drive and burner just play up and i cant think of what else to try.

i updated my ide driver its the lastest one from the VIA website..

any commen problems that would cause this behaviour,

Old 12-14-2003, 04:46 AM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie
Send a message via ICQ to RoyalW Send a message via AIM to RoyalW Send a message via Yahoo to RoyalW

If possible could you get ahold of another DVDROM and/or DVDRW and try them in your PC
It would greatly sum down the problem to be the drivers or not the the drives.

If they are, then maybe they need some type of cleaning. Either them optical cleanser things you can buy or those discs with the little brushes on em.

If it still has problems with the replacement drives then apart from the cables themselves being the problem I cant think of anything else sorry.

(*Thinking: Hmmm... maybe the IDE controllers? Nahhhh...)

Windows XP Pro 2002 (SP2)

Intel Northwood 2.4GHz
Compaq Evo D510 SFF
768MB DDR PC2100
Intel 82801 (AC\'97)
C: 40GB (FAT32)
Old 12-14-2003, 12:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

actually RoyalW it would make more sense to do the opposite and test this dvd burner that's having problems on another computer. if it works on another computer than he would know it is something with this one
Old 12-14-2003, 01:43 PM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

yes i will try them on another computer , i did replace the cable there was no difference,

you have the wrong idea, i have a dvd player and a normal cdr drive ( so 2 drives ) and they both play up
Old 12-14-2003, 05:59 PM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie

I had this type of problem except. Except it was between my harddrive and NEW CD drive (It's just 56x cd drive).

During normal use of the computer, out of no where my D: (80 gig hdd) and my E: (CD drive) would just disappear. I lost access to both of them. I rebooted and it said on the boot screen:
for both of my drives. I went into the bios and it didn't detect them.

I later replaced the IDE cables going to both of them and what do you know, they worked great. They still are working great, too.

This isn't the same problem as you, but they are close. I would recommend replacing any or all cables going to your CD Rom drives to see if something is wrong with them. Mine didn't have any types of cuts or anything on them.

Current PC
Windows 7 Pro x64
AMD 965 Black Edition 3.4GHz
ASUS Crossfire III
Corsair 650 Watt
Sapphire ATI 5770
500GB Samsung*2 | 150GB VelicoRaptor 10K HDD
1TB Samsung
C# Programmer+Web Programmer
Gamer :)
Closed Thread