IDE Cables

Status
Not open for further replies.

Safety Dave

Beta member
I've picked up an old NetVista Destop computer. The bays for the HD's are stacked on top eachother, and the optical drives are stacked on top of each other, but beside the HD's. So I need to find IDE cables with about 10" or 12" between the primary and the secondary. I have to zig zag back and forth to get optimal configuration for HD to HD and DVD to HD data transfer rate. Normal length from MB to pri is preferred as really long cables slow transfer rate. Any clues where to find 'em? I don't care if they're round or not.

Safety Dave

You sure long cables slow down data transfer? It seems a bit odd that given the speed of data transfer through the cables as it is would not be slowed down much by any less that say 100m or so. Assuming heat constants remain normal.

Anyway point is you can get them, but you ave to look around, you may have to buy long cables anyway unless you can get some from NetVista.

Hey Jono, thanks for the reply.
I was in a hardware shop and they sold me some 36" cables. As I was paying, they warned that the length was "beyond spec" and could slow data transfer by as much as 400, and if I was running Maxtor drives, even more than that. First I'd heard of it, but I figured they knew much better than I.
And I will check with NetVista, thanks.
Dave

Actually what you said interested me, IE long cables slowing stuff down - while its possible in theory, in the situation your talking about it sems really strange. A wire of that length shouldn't slow the data down. Infact the only reason I mentioned 100m before was that this is the standard data transmittion length before you start to use repeater stations.

Has anyone else heard of this wierdybeardy cable length stuff.

It would be wierd if it did matter. It just doesn't seem technically reasonable.

Even if someone told me that I don't think I would believe them.

It's just as well, I've been looking for 2 days on the web for what I want, and can't seem to find it. anything I find with a greater distance between pri and sec are 36" long anyway.

I know, i hate settling for stuff that doesn't do what i want. But then again reality always comes into play.

You could always try to custom make your own. :~)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom