IBM Netvista onboard video problems - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 01-31-2005, 02:31 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Unhappy IBM Netvista onboard video problems

Hi All
I have been working on this problem for a while and I wonder if anyone can help. I am working on an IBM Netvista 2254 G23 PIII 1.0Ghz 128MB. It originally had WindowsME for the OS. I reformatted the harddrive due to a virus on the system. There were no restore disks available. I installed Windows2000 and tried to install the drivers for the sound and videofrom the IBM website to no avail. Both sound and video are onboard. I eventually went out and bought a sound card that works fine. Now we get to the problem. I am able to get video, but I am not able to change the display to 16bit high color or any other setting other than the default with I think is 16bit. When I attempted to install a video card(PCI) the computer would not install or show video through that card. I might have to disable the onboard video but I have no idea where to start. I tried all of the video drivers on the IBM website, none of them worked. If there is anybody that can help, I would sure appreciate it.

Old 01-31-2005, 12:07 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

The reason you can't get more than 16 colours is because you are probably using the standard windows vga graphics adapter.

I've looked on IBMs website, the onboard card you have is an nvidia. The link below will take you straight to the download page for the win2000 driver for this card :

If this doesn't work, go to nvidia's website & download the driver from there. The link below will take you directly to the page you need.

If you wish to install an off board card instead, you are right about having to disable the onboard one first. This will either be a setting in the Bios or a jumper on the motherboard.

Old 01-31-2005, 01:04 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Thanks for the help. I will go to the site and download those drivers.
Closed Thread