IBM IntelliStation just stopped working - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 10-23-2004, 09:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Question IBM IntelliStation just stopped working

Hey all...

A friend off mine gave me an old IBM IntelliStation E Pro (600MHz, 384RAM) and ive ben twinkering around with it and added a 40Gb drive and XP to create a really smooth running machine for basically nothing at all. The problem is, last night my friend brought up a DVD+R with some avi files on and put it in my PC. The DVD/Combi Drive couldnt read it and I was going out so I just took the disk out and shut the PC down.

When I got back later, I turn it on and its stuck on the IBM splash screen. Im thinking this is weird because I cant even press F1 to get onto the BIOS config. So I take out the DVD/Combi and get it to boot up. Im trying to wonder why it isnt working properly so thinking it was the DVD/Combi I got the drivers and flashed the firmware. I then boot it up again and Im still having problems getting it to load up. I narrowed it down to the combi drive so i unplugged it from the IDE cable and power and turned on the PC.

I wanted to find a reason why it was working, so I was looking for information about flashing the mobo. I turn it off again (without flashing the mobo) , put another DVD drive in and it works. I then restart and try to boot up windows and its not letting me. I disconnect teh DVD drive, still not letting me. It just stays on the IBM screen, unable to let me go into the CMOS/BIOS. I even unplug the HDD and the DVD drive to see if it will let me i get into the CMOS and still no luck. I then tried clearing the CMOS with the jumper settings but again, it just stays on the IBM splash screen.

One thing that might or might not have something to do with it could be this. Yesterday I installed some CD ripping software. It said that my ASPI drivers werent update and asked me to install some which came with the package and a registry key fix. I did this, re-booted and it worked fine. The drivers were ASPI driver 4.60 but today i upgraded them to 4.72 to see if it made any difference. Could this effect why its causing problems??

This is getting on my nerves now as I cant even get anything working. Can you guys suggest anything?

Thanks in advance, clarets99
Closed Thread