I want to build a new computer or upgrade the one I have. But how? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-13-2004, 08:39 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default I want to build a new computer or upgrade the one I have. But how?

Current specs that suck:

1GHz
384mb RAM
20g Harddrive
Intel P3
GeForce3 Ti 200 64Mb

I have a 4yrold Dell, and from what I've been told on other forums is that I can't just take things out of it and add new ones because it won't fit or something.

I use my computer basicaly just for the internet and games. It's fine on the internet, but multitasking and using things like Photoshop or playing a game like TheSims takes forever to load and a lot of lagging with level switching and things.

I know how to do the actual building part of putting parts in and hooking them up.. what I don't understand is all the technical things of the parts. Like how do you know whether or not something is compatable? Would I end up buying a harddrive and a proccesser that weren't compatable or something? Seems like there are 500 different kinds of harddrives and rams..etc.

Also I want to keep my cd roms and moniter and things like that, so that's why I just want to build/upgrade. Trying to stay as cheap as I can.
Should I just get one of those "barebones" cases and put everything else in?

I don't get it.. I just don't know where to start..I don't want to buy a whole new computer, I want to do it myself and I kind of know what I want in it. (at least a 60gb harddrive, ati video card, as much ram as I can..)

Old 10-13-2004, 09:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to beedubaya

You are going to need to build an entirely new PC. Even if you could upgrade that, it wouldn't be worth it. I have listed some basic parts that you should consider when building, and it will allow you to play every game out today without a problem and even be able to play some future games.

At least a 500W power supply unit
Abit AV8 Motherboard
Athlon 64 3500+ CPU
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB
512MB or 1GB of Corsair XMS PC3200 RAM (preferrable 1GB)
Western Digital 80GB SATA Hard drive w/ 8MB cache
Optical drives of your choice
Case of your choice

The specs I listed above would make for a great mid-range system that would be able to play everything from Sims 2 to Doom 3. Good luck, man.

Old 10-13-2004, 10:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
Memberbot

Unless it's already a P4 system, I wouldn't really bother with upgrades. But I guess that kinda depends on what you use it for. So, if you really wanted to upgrade, maybe get some more RAM and a new vid card.

I would still just build from scratch

Intel E6750...........PSN: ELBATROP
XFX nForce 650i Ultra
Patriot PC2-6400 8GB (4x2GB)
eVGA 9800GT
36GB WD Raptor
120GB SG
1TB SG
Logitech X-530
Samsung SyncMaster 931c
Samsung SyncMaster 750s
Windows 7 Home Premium 64
Old 10-13-2004, 12:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

well in his case since the p3's run on socket 370.. it wouldnt be worth it to just upgrade at all.. building from scratch is the only option u have my friend
Old 10-13-2004, 12:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Send a message via AIM to ATIRAGEPRO Send a message via Yahoo to ATIRAGEPRO
Cool "Bored as hell..."

Quote:
Originally posted by No0b
Current specs that suck:

1GHz
384mb RAM
20g Harddrive
Intel P3
GeForce3 Ti 200 64Mb

Are you kidding!?!?Sell it to ME!! I'll buy it!

Quote:
Originally posted by bonehelm
WTF ROFLMAO !!!! WTF OMFG LOL !!!! PARDON THE ****KING CAPS IM SO ROFL NOW !!!

I just found out I\'ve been using direct X 8.1 since its out.
He who knows when enough is enough will always have enough... - Lao Tzu
Old 10-13-2004, 06:47 PM   #6 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Send a message via AIM to lbreevesii

Quote:
Originally posted by beedubaya
You are going to need to build an entirely new PC. Even if you could upgrade that, it wouldn't be worth it. I have listed some basic parts that you should consider when building, and it will allow you to play every game out today without a problem and even be able to play some future games.

At least a 500W power supply unit
Abit AV8 Motherboard
Athlon 64 3500+ CPU
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB
512MB or 1GB of Corsair XMS PC3200 RAM (preferrable 1GB)
Western Digital 80GB SATA Hard drive w/ 8MB cache
Optical drives of your choice
Case of your choice

no no no no no. he's wanting to try to save money here. not flatten his wallet on an amd 64 system. to save money he can build a decent amd system from a barebones kit. find yourself a good deal on a barbones pc and put in any decent amd processor that will work w/ the socket. since you don't need a ton of power you won't have to have more than a 350-400 watt power supply(if you build a lower end system), ram is usually included w/ a barebones, if you like you can use your exisiting dell optical drives, and you can find great deals on a decent sata hard drive online. don't break the bank
1.5gb RAM
etc etc

Custom Quake box under planning and soon to be under construction
Old 10-13-2004, 10:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Newb Techie

You should build a new one from a barebones or something. You can find some for really good prices on Ebay. Alot come with motherboard, processor, and case. Just be careful on Ebay and read all the fine print.

Thing is with Dells they pack it in so much they are hard to save existing hardware. I was hoping to use some parts from my dimension but found it was better to use new parts. Plus his old ram may not be compatible with new motherboards.
Old 10-14-2004, 08:13 AM   #8 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Send a message via AIM to lbreevesii

it won't be. his old dell ram is most likley to be pc133, he'll need some good ddr for his new system. another great site to check out is www.zipzoomfly.com. also www.tcwo.com has some great prices
1.5gb RAM
etc etc

Custom Quake box under planning and soon to be under construction
Old 10-14-2004, 11:00 AM   #9 (permalink)
True Techie

Default Re: I want to build a new computer or upgrade the one I have. But how?

Quote:
Originally posted by No0b
Current specs that suck:

1GHz
384mb RAM
20g Harddrive
Intel P3
GeForce3 Ti 200 64Mb

I have a 4yrold Dell, and from what I've been told on other forums is that I can't just take things out of it and add new ones because it won't fit or something.

I use my computer basicaly just for the internet and games. It's fine on the internet, but multitasking and using things like Photoshop or playing a game like TheSims takes forever to load and a lot of lagging with level switching and things.

I know how to do the actual building part of putting parts in and hooking them up.. what I don't understand is all the technical things of the parts. Like how do you know whether or not something is compatable? Would I end up buying a harddrive and a proccesser that weren't compatable or something? Seems like there are 500 different kinds of harddrives and rams..etc.

Also I want to keep my cd roms and moniter and things like that, so that's why I just want to build/upgrade. Trying to stay as cheap as I can.
Should I just get one of those "barebones" cases and put everything else in?

I don't get it.. I just don't know where to start..I don't want to buy a whole new computer, I want to do it myself and I kind of know what I want in it. (at least a 60gb harddrive, ati video card, as much ram as I can..)

woah my old computer was better then urs. neways go to newegg.com pr zipsoomfly.com and order all the systems spes i have cost me about 400+ dollars, not including the speakers or monitor. dont get my processor tho, get a amd athlon mobile xp 2400+ 1.8 ghz barton or you can get a 2500 barton
radeon 9200 SE vid card :(
60 gig hardrive
32*Cd-rw and 16*DVD drive
17\" CRT monitor
mushkin 512 mb pc 3200
Old 10-14-2004, 07:05 PM   #10 (permalink)
Newb Techie

You could build a
AMD 64 2800+ (140.00)
512MB PC-3200 (80.00)
FX5700 Ultra or 9800 Pro (150-200)
Aspire X-Dreamer II Case (55.00)
120GB Hard Drive (100.00)
CD Drive you could probably rip out of the Dell or get one for about $30.00-50.00 (got a DVD/CD burner a few days ago for(45.00))

Total 625.00

Closed Thread