I think something is up

Status
Not open for further replies.

reptromiki

Solid State Member
Alright, when I first bought my computer ( Sony VAIO PCV-RX850 ) it came with 512 megabytes of ram. Well, the computer used 32 megs of that for the video card, so I had 480. Well, than I upgraded to 1 gig and changed my video card to a ATI Radeon 7500. Well, since than, I've bought a Geforce 6800 Ultra to play the newer games. I have a 270 watt/volt ( dont know, different people telling me different things ) power supply. The video card reccomends 480. ANyways, I don't feel that my computer is performing the best it should. I have the latest anti-virus ( Mcafee ) with the latest updates. I have no spyware/adware/malware, etc.. because I have reformatted my computer several times. I have a 2.4 ghz processor. I am not sure what kind of RAM I have/bought, so if anyone could tell me how to check I think it could help.

I have compared my friends computer (Custom Built) who also has 1 gig of ram. His comp runs better than mine while he is at 2.0 GHz processor and a 128 meg Nvidia Geforce 4200 TI Than my other friends computer who has a 2.4 ghz processor and I believe a Nvidia 5200 or something like that with 1 gig of ram. There computers run much more stabler...They load in quicker...and can run games easier. (Example, we play a game called Dark Age of Camelot and sometimes we run two clients of it to log on another account. Anyways, I run it with little lag, chopiness, etc... and it takes longer to load the 2nd client. For my two friends they do it easy.) So. Any idea on what can cause this? For people who don't know my computer was built in a foreign country with foreign parts so I got screwed over and am limited to things I can buy.

Heyyo,

Now, you definately would need a bigger PSU (Power Supply Unit). If I were you, just unscrew the back of your case, remove the cover, and read what it says on the PSU. It's like a computer rule, to take the minimum requirements and add an extra 20-50W ontop of that. Since your comp's older, odds are indeed your PSU is too small so your comp's having probs.

Now, odds are your mobo's (motherboard's) old too then eh? it's probably only running at maybe x4 agp. This is one of your main bottlenecks. The 6800 ultra pretty much demands x8 agp port, or if you can pci-e.

1GB of ram is plenty. Ram's already plenty fast, so yours might just be PC2100, but there's not too massive of a preformance gain on PC3200 anywho. Maybe a few seconds off the loadtime really.

So yes, in order to utilize the full potential of the vidcard, you probably need a bigger PSU and a newer mobo.

well 1 problem which u pointed out is that 270 watt power supply iodnt if it will make your somputer slow though. what processor u have? the type.

edited: cool :up: he answereds it .

I'd try getter a bigger power supply like The_MarD said. I'd also check out the motherboard. Besides that I think it should run ok.

computer isnt to old. got it 2 years ago. but I dont see how my PSU can cause problems or the x8 agp port or whatever. the video card either works or not....and I can play battlefield 2 settings cranked in highest res no probs. im just having general problems as in long loading times...one strange thing is, when i right click on an icon on my desktop with the nvidia geforce 6800 Ultra (current one) it takes about 3-5 seconds to load the bar that has the options like delete,copy,etc... as with my old video card the ATI Radeon 7500 it had no delay.

Download cpu-z from www.cpuid.com for the type of ram.

270watts is not enough to run a 6800U to its full abilities. http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/ - you need to add roughly 50watts due to it may use more at peak etc. and then that would be from a top PSU company like OCZ etc.

AMD's or Intels?

They may have faster hdd's not fragged - do a defrag your hdd.

They have the game on lowest settings, where as you may have it on highest.

They may have less things on start up - goto run/msconfig/start-up everything there can be unticked, but remember it is not a good idea to un tick it all.

You need to download your latest Nvidia drivers.

They may have less cluter on the HDD.

edit for slow typing: the higher the settings on BF2 the longer it takes to load into a game.

yes infact he is running in lowest quality. and I dont intend on buying a new power supply since I can play battlefield 2 high quality no problems. my start up list is fine. I have the necessary start ups only and my AV.

EDIT: Ok, these are the types of RAM I have, I have 2 chips

DDR-SDRAM PC2100 (133 MHz)

and

DDR2-SDRAM PC2-0 (0 MHz)

What does CPUZ say is the total amount of ram?

I think you only have 512 working, as you can't (to my knowledge) run DDR1 and DDR2 on the same motherboard.

1024 megabytes

Nothing seems overheated. hottest thing I have is GPU Temperature at 61 celsius

Processor Temperature : 39.5 °C
Mainboard Temperature : 45 °C
Power/Aux Temperature : 46 °C
GPU Temperature : 61 °C
Hard Disk Temperature SAMSUNG SV8004H : 37 °C

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom