i think i broke my gps :( - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 05-19-2005, 06:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie
Default i think i broke my gps :(

alright. im really hoping someone out there has a suggestion for me, as i am curently lost (and quite distressed)

i recently bought a rikaline gps 6010 off ebay. 90 bucks canadian.

i hoooked it up to my PDA via a very crude hardware hack (how else to hook a female PS2 to a jornada 430 without a 20 dollar cable). this also worked fine.

unfortunately, i could not for the life of me find a +5v pin on my PDA that was capable of powering it, so i got myself a 4x "AA" battery pack and used that. it worked fine

but today i was trying to rewire (and by that i mean wire it the same, but in a less crude fashion) it, and cut open the ps2 cable of the gps unit to make a direct solder connection.

unfortunately, i managed to pick the wrong two wires. i picked red (+5v) and yellow (Rx - we're talking a serial connection here). after applying the proper (or so i then thought) voltage, and nothing happening, i tried the reverse (from previous experience i knew it was save to apply reverse voltage.. TO THE RIGHT PINS)

after a while i figured out my folly - WHITE is the ground wire... but now when i test red and white with my multimeter, they have ZERO resistance! hooking up the batteries just causes them to heat up.

could this even possibly be a result of what i did? i cut the cable back 3 inches to make sure i hadn't accidentally like, melted off or cut into the insulation anywere that i couldnt see, but still no dice. the only scenario i could think of is that i totally melted the inside of something in there? shouldnt Rx be able to handle voltage?

please! any suggetsions? ive only had this thing two days

ps. the unit is non-serviceable... its glued shut. but i will open it if i have to.

Old 05-19-2005, 08:36 PM   #2 (permalink)
Newb Techie

does it have a fuse?

Old 05-19-2005, 09:13 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

the unit appears to be glued shut. i could pry it open, but i was hoping i would not have to.

even still, a fuse would result in infinite resistance, not zero. zero means short circuit.
Closed Thread