I still don't see a significant advantage to using RAID

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeh raid is only good for raid 1. I used to use 2 old 80GB seagates in raid 1, and they were noticably faster than my current 500GB 7200.11 seagate.

Still, this should only be used for OS and apps as already said. Data should be on another disk and backed up.

Yeah, I agree w/ hefemeister. For the record, I did say it "keeps data safe from system crashes." A good series of tape backups are possible, and as mentioned, no, RAID shouldn't be used for backups. What I said is true, that RAID is used for keeping it safe, meaning, if one drive fails in RAID 5, you can keep data intact and change the erroneous drive, while keeping the system running. BUT the tape backups are what is going to replace data IF anything is lost.

That is the idea of RAID 5 anyway, that is what I am speaking of in this example. So I agree with Saxon, Hef, etc. on RAID shouldn't be SOLEY relied on, but in combination with a good backup scheme of tapes, or some other reliable media. I got this information from my professor who is a network professional as well (I do not include myself in that statement, I am a student). He uses RAID 0 for some not-so-critical things because of it's relative speed. RAID 1 for something else (I forgot), and RAID 5 for the critical data (payroll, databases, etc). And of course he uses differential backups to tape with an automatic disk changer system.

raid 1 is a mirrored array where both drives have the same info on them. Either one can die and the array will still function. It is the slowest of the arrays because it has to write to 2 drives simultaneously.

Again raid 5 is good for you can loose a drive and still have a functioning system with better speed than a raid 1 array.

i will never run a system (business wise) without a RAID config, more than likely RAID 5.
and if required for large drives, RAID 6. i'm a bit paranoid and if 1 drive fails...i'm thinking another one will go soon, my luck before the replacement drive's rebuilt.

It is always a bit scary when rebuilding an array. Of course if you have backups it is not as big of a deal. I usually have and extra drive matching the array around so I can rebuild as soon as a drive fails and do not have to wait for a replacement drive.

ya, we've got replacement drives for all our servers + backups that can be restored in a matter of minutes. no need to go to our tape drive if it's from the past 2 days.
gotta love VM's XD

if they did backups to tape or another server they would of had been fine.
why didn't 1 person there say "hey, we need a backup scheme implemented!"

are they just all plain ID10T's there or what?

Apparently so. They thought that RAID was a backup. Now they are gone after many years on the net. I found it funny personally.

But it is true. If 1 disk in the array fails and you are using RAID 0 then you lose it all. With little chance of recovering your files.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom