I still don't see a significant advantage to using RAID - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 04:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default I still don't see a significant advantage to using RAID

Even after reading the articles @ both The Tech FAQ and Wiki, I still don't get it. I mean if your buying hard drives, why not just use them as separate drives? Seems to me there may be more problems than advantages in combining two or more drives.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:03 PM   #2 (permalink)
Oldie but a goodie

Default Re: I still don't see a significant advantage to using RAID

Quote:
Originally Posted by Datalyss View Post
Even after reading the articles @ both The Tech FAQ and Wiki, I still don't get it. I mean if your buying hard drives, why not just use them as separate drives? Seems to me there may be more problems than advantages in combining two or more drives.
Well I am not by any means an expert on this, but the idea for (some) types RAID is for keeping data safe from system crashes. It is called "fault tolerance".

RAID 0 has no fault tolerance.

RAID 1 is mirroring. That is ok, except when copying data, it puts a load on the CPU more than other types of RAID.

RAID 5 is common, it is fault tolerant AND there is parity checking as well.

With RAID 5, if one drive crashes you still have all your data intact. You need 3 drives minimum for RAID 5.

Old 01-06-2009, 10:29 PM   #3 (permalink)
Camera junky

i thought raid 0 oferred performence boost speed wise???

https://www.flickr.com/photos/poizen22/
intel Core I7 8700k@ 5.0ghz-Nvidia GTX1080 ti ftw3-Aorus 5 z370 mobo-16gb ddr4 G-Skill trident Z rgb 3000mhz - 1tb samsung 960 pro, 2tb wd blue- thermaltake rgb 750w gold-Phanteks pro M TG- Samsung CHG70 1440p 144hz 32 inch QLED.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:06 PM   #4 (permalink)
Oldie but a goodie

No fault tolerance. One drive crashes, the shooting match is over. Both drives need to stay up. Speed isn't everything.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:48 PM   #5 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poizen22 View Post
i thought raid 0 oferred performence boost speed wise???
Quote:
"Striped set without parity" or "Striping". Provides improved performance and additional storage but no fault tolerance. Any disk failure destroys the array, which becomes more likely with more disks in the array. A single disk failure destroys the entire array because when data is written to a RAID 0 drive, the data is broken into fragments. The number of fragments is dictated by the number of disks in the array. The fragments are written to their respective disks simultaneously on the same sector. This allows smaller sections of the entire chunk of data to be read off the drive in parallel, giving this type of arrangement huge bandwidth. RAID 0 does not implement error checking so any error is unrecoverable. More disks in the array means higher bandwidth, but greater risk of data loss.
Source: RAID - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 01-07-2009, 12:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie

If you ask me RAID if fundamentally flawed, and further implementation should be discouraged. In all honesty why? Raid 5 I can understand but unless a machine is in use 24/7/365 simple back up software can do it, When i run my own company I got a panicked call from some guy who litterly knocked the server over and one of the hard drives was clicking he would have lost a **** load of company data because the last support company made them use RAID 0. If it wasnt for me installing a Tape drive a week before there would have been a fair bit of data lost.

In my mind this is how any one should run there back ups an data storage:

2 Identical disks, 1 tape drive and Backup Exec. Nightly there is a tape back up of all critical files to the tape that is taken off site at 9pm there is a 2nd back up of the primary drive to the 2nd hard disk.

If one drive dies there is the 2nd copy on a drive that can be ghosted to a replacement, if somthing happend to the machine there is the crittical back ups on the tape.
I also recomended a critical back up off sight of all the drives once a month a day or so before pay day, it's not the most ideal soloution but I have never seen this meathod fail as at any one time there is atleast 3 copys of the critical data 2 copys of all the data on site and 1 other copy of site no more than 28 days old.

Want to do even more? Take a look here and join the fight on human trafficking.

Hear and you forget, see and you remember, do and you understand.

Old 01-07-2009, 12:21 AM   #7 (permalink)
Private Joker

Can't remember where or who said it...but this topic reminds me of it:

"What is RAID0? Well the 0 means how many files you're gonna get back if something goes wrong."

If I help you, or you just like what I said, rep me by clicking the under my post
Old 01-07-2009, 02:14 AM   #8 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Well for starters a raid 1 or 5 or 10 should never be looked at as a backup solution. No matter what you run you need backups.

Some of the importance of raid has been lost with increasing drive size. Back in the day I built raid arrays with 7 or 8 36gb scsi drives just because you could not realistically get drives large enough to hold a huge company database.

What companies need raid arrays for is the fault tolerance. Even though you have backups if a hard drive fails you cannot tell 100+ employees that they cannot work because a hard drive failed. If a hard drive goes down the system keeps running. Then the IT department can come in a night. They can drop the array, put in a new drive and rebuilt it. The next day none of the employees have any idea that there was a problem. Trust me I have spent my share of nights rebuilding arrays after a drive failure.

Raid0 is a bit faster but it is just for fun. I run a couple of raptors in raid0 and sure it is faster. I only install my os and apps on it and keep no important data. I just do it to say that I do. The speed increase does not outweigh the risks for a critical system.

I do not accept support questions via PM

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
Old 01-07-2009, 03:31 AM   #9 (permalink)

Not to mention performance nuts RAID their primary OS drives.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:03 AM   #10 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Yeh raid is only good for raid 1. I used to use 2 old 80GB seagates in raid 1, and they were noticably faster than my current 500GB 7200.11 seagate.

Still, this should only be used for OS and apps as already said. Data should be on another disk and backed up.