I never leave well enough alone... uhhh

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAVOC

Fully Optimized
Well, the title says it all. I bought a new Plextor PX-716AL/SW DVD burner last week. Installed it and everything was working great. It's actually one of the fastest drives i've ever seen. 16X DVD burning....
has a 8MB buffer cache... it's great...

Then I decide to visit the plextor website to see if there are any updates or anything... I find that there is a "FIRMWARE" upgrade for my drive. So i download it and "FLASH THE DRIVE" restart my PC.
I go to burn a CD... And the damn thing keeps ejecting every CD/DVD everything... And not only that but the light is blinking and there isn't even a disk in the drive....

So I do some troubleshooting for about 20 minutes or so. Nothing I tried worked. So i gave up and called Plextor. Talk with a tech. and he tells me, "Oh, that's a classic sign that the FLASHROM chip didn't take the firmware upgrade properly." I was like , "what"? So he told me I have to RMA it. Damn it!!! Now I have to ship it to them and wait for them to ship me another one back.....

AHHH... Why can't I leave well enough alone!!!!

I flashed my plextor PX-716SA to the latest firmware without trouble. Are you sure you didn't download the wrong firmware? Thats a sure fire way to kill any electronic device... bad/incorrect/failed firmware flash. WOW HAVOK I JUST SEE YOUR SPECS IN YOUR SIG. Mind telling me how that zalman 9500 works?

if it aint broke, dont fix it :D

If it's broke...buy a new one

as per instructions at pimprig.com

"Overclock it up until it fries, buy another and dont go quite as far" :D

Yes, but the updated firmware brings with it faster dual layer burning speeds.

003 said:
I flashed my plextor PX-716SA to the latest firmware without trouble. Are you sure you didn't download the wrong firmware? Thats a sure fire way to kill any electronic device... bad/incorrect/failed firmware flash. WOW HAVOK I JUST SEE YOUR SPECS IN YOUR SIG. Mind telling me how that zalman 9500 works?

Yes, it was the correct version - PX-716AL the tech guy told me it was the right version too. He said, "Sometimes it happens and it's a faulty FLASHROM chip." I don't know... The reason I even flashed it was because I just picked up some dual layer disks... and wanted to burn them a little faster..... fugger!!!!!

Hey, 003 does your drive have the 8MB buffer cache?

The SIG build isn't complete yet. It's a work in progress. I still need to decide if i'm going DFI/7800 or DFI/x1800XT... May-be in a few weeks i'll decide and buy the rest of the stuff I need. Which is pretty much the only things I need left. I've bought everything else already.... The Zalman 9500 is damn cool looking and it's not as big as it looks in alot of pictures... Can't wait to slap this sucker on my FX-57... I keep opening up the box and the plastic casing of the processor and just look at it... stare... and drool... I can't wait to build.... But I must....

Painful Anticipation.....

HAVOC2k5 said:
Hey, 003 does your drive have the 8MB buffer cache?
Yes -- that is why I bought it :) I know the 9500 looks really cool, but I want to know how it preforms. Let me know when you get everything set up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom