I need a little help

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdONeil

Solid State Member
Question about motherboards that can use both SD & DDR ram

Hello everyone. I am in the market for a new computer and I have various things picked out but the motherboard is the one thing I'm stuck on. The computer I am using right now is fairly old and wouldn't be worth upgrading but I'd like to swap out the 2 sticks of 256mb SD-ram out of it. I am interested in getting a motherboard that can use the SD-ram I already have and later, when I have the money, switch to DDR-ram. I've seen several SD/DDR motherboards that are at good prices but they don't have an agp slot that's 8x. I'm going to be getting a Powercolor 9600 Pro video card with 256mb of DDR from my friend for super cheap and it would be nice to get the most out of it without having to buy a new motherboard later when i want to switch to DDR. If anyone has seen a SD/DDR motherboard with an agp slot thats 8x or know where I could find one, please post a message or send me a message. I would appreciate it. Thanks :)

UPDATE: I've been searching for just a normal SD-ram motherboard that has a 8x agp slot and haven't been able to find one of them either. Is there some kind of collision between the two or is there simply no demand for motherboards that have 8x agp slots and can use SD-ram?

So no one knows if theres a motherboard that has a 8x agp slot and can use both SD and DDR memory? Please reply

I did a search on newegg.com and there were no matches for the critera. Sorry man. But if your upgrading, you might as well get some DDR Ram, there are some pretty low prices around if you look hard enough.

The only animal your describing that I've seen is a MicroATX board. What you need to do is check the specs of some manufacturer's sites for a board like that. Then look for a place that sells it.

Thanks for the feedback guys. If you, or anyone who just so happens to be reading this thread, see a motherboard using SD&DDR memory with an 8x agp slot send me an email. My email address is mydisasterpiece@hotmail.com Thanks again

By the way, the form factor doesn't matter. ATX or MicroATX would be just fine

well the board I thought had what you were looking for was only 4x max on the AGP. What you are searching for may not exist. I now know the place I work for doesn't carry any... :-(

I think the reason you cant find one of these mother board is because that may be what the DDR means. Double Data Rate. I can not find and explanation on the web of this but this i think is the answer. The 8x is just a doubling of the bus speed. which can be accomodated by DDR. sdram motherboard all run at 4x agp and the DDR motherboards can run at all speeds 1x/4x/8x. The 8x may only be accomplished by using DDR. Which is why the sd ram i think max out at 133mhz when the DDR goes much higher. Again i cant find a decent explanation that confirms this but hope it helps on your search. Also i have to agree with a previous reply. ram is cheap. if you are going to get a new system go with ddr. also curious as to which CPU you will be swithching too.

Right on. That's a good explanation. I just thought there would be no demand for a motherboard like that. Currently I'm thinking about getting an Athlon XP 2200 or just get a 2500 for only like $27 more dollars off this site I found on Yahoo Shopping. There is this motherboard on the same site I think I'm going to get http://shop.store.yahoo.com/buyxg/biostarm7vitp.html

It seems they have ran out of OEM Athlon XP 2500s but the difference between a 2200 and a 2400 is only $10. I might as well go with that.

Here is a small list of the things I currently want for my computer incase anyone wants to give me some advise. This will be my first home-built computer by the way.

Video Card: Powercolor 9600 Pro 256mb DDR
Motherboard: Biostar M7VIT Pro
CPU: Athlon XP 2400

The power supply, memory, and case are all generic. Not too concerned about brand names as long as there is a warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom