I need to format my drive. Help? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-26-2005, 09:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 133
Default I need to format my drive. Help?

I just finished clearing up a big mess with my hard drive. I had 2 partitions and files were corrupt and missing. So I was told to get a bootdisk delete those partition and format before installing windows Xp.

I'm at the RECOVERY CONSOLE now at the Command Prompt Screen. I need to know the command, in order to start a format.

Also... Does anyone have any suggestion as to if I should format too NT. or FAT? I have a 160GB Drive.
__________________

Cajete is offline  
Old 04-26-2005, 10:01 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master Techie
 
uzi9mm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Horseheads, NY
Posts: 2,553
Default

Just pop in the windows XP cd,boot to the XP setup screem, and follow directions from there. and put down that you want to erase/ format each partition. And for one of them, just put down that you want XP on one of them
__________________

__________________
INTEL i7 930
ASUS P6X58D
3x2gb Corsair Dominators
EVGA GTX 480
CORSAIR 850-HX
uzi9mm is offline  
Old 04-26-2005, 10:08 PM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 19
Send a message via AIM to Sorrow Send a message via Yahoo to Sorrow
Default

Well for one thing, if you want a total format, use the 98 Boot Disk method. Pop the 98 boot disk in and Start with CD Rom Support.

Then when you see the A drive, if you want to delete partions, type "Fdisk" if you want to format each partion, do this:

1. Type "format c:" , For the Second Drive type "Format d:" Also, the RAM is considered a drive in DOS. Which will probably be e:

But once you have everything strait, goto a computer with internet access, and download the Setup Disk's for what version of XP you have. After the format, pop those inand install XP again.

Links:

98 Boot disk Download

Windows XP Setup Disks
Sorrow is offline  
Old 04-26-2005, 10:08 PM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 133
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by uzi9mm
Just pop in the windows XP cd,boot to the XP setup screem, and follow directions from there. and put down that you want to erase/ format each partition. And for one of them, just put down that you want XP on one of them
Alright Uzi. I gotcha mang. Thanks
Cajete is offline  
Old 04-26-2005, 10:11 PM   #5 (permalink)
True Techie
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 133
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Sorrow
Well for one thing, if you want a total format, use the 98 Boot Disk method. Pop the 98 boot disk in and Start with CD Rom Support.

Then when you see the A drive, if you want to delete partions, type "Fdisk" if you want to format each partion, do this:

1. Type "format c:" , For the Second Drive type "Format d:" Also, the RAM is considered a drive in DOS. Which will probably be e:

But once you have everything strait, goto a computer with internet access, and download the Setup Disk's for what version of XP you have. After the format, pop those inand install XP again.

Links:

98 Boot disk Download

Windows XP Setup Disks
Setup Disk.
Let me understnad ya a bit better.
You mean after I format and I have the computer running good with internet, to get the Windows XP Boot disk? and install XP again?
Cajete is offline  
Old 04-26-2005, 10:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Newb Techie
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 19
Send a message via AIM to Sorrow Send a message via Yahoo to Sorrow
Default

No. the Setup disks are only for when you completely Format the whole rig. Almost like having a new drive. the 98 Boot disk is the easiest thing to format with. Or you could boot off the Xp CD...

Quote:
Also... Does anyone have any suggestion as to if I should format too NT. or FAT? I have a 160GB Drive
Doesn't matter. When you re-install XP it will convert it to NFTS.
Sorrow is offline  
Old 04-27-2005, 03:09 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master Techie
 
uzi9mm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Horseheads, NY
Posts: 2,553
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by Sorrow
No. the Setup disks are only for when you completely Format the whole rig. Almost like having a new drive. the 98 Boot disk is the easiest thing to format with. Or you could boot off the Xp CD...

Doesn't matter. When you re-install XP it will convert it to NFTS.
It will only do that if you want it too. It will ask you what file system you want. Either Fat32 or NTFS. Pick NTFS since it is just better.
__________________
INTEL i7 930
ASUS P6X58D
3x2gb Corsair Dominators
EVGA GTX 480
CORSAIR 850-HX
uzi9mm is offline  
Old 04-27-2005, 04:17 AM   #8 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 849
Send a message via Yahoo to ZeroX
Default

Quote:
Originally posted by uzi9mm
Just pop in the windows XP cd,boot to the XP setup screem, and follow directions from there. and put down that you want to erase/ format each partition. And for one of them, just put down that you want XP on one of them
this is the easy way to get errrr done
__________________
<a href=\"http://www.spreadfirefox.com/?q=affiliates&amp;id=0&amp;t=62\"><img border=\"0\" alt=\"Get Firefox!\" title=\"Get Firefox!\" src=\"http://sfx-images.mozilla.org/affiliates/Buttons/110x32/take.gif\"/></a>
<a href=\"http://www.spreadfirefox.com/?q=affiliates&amp;id=0&amp;t=181\"><img border=\"0\" alt=\"Get Thunderbird!\" title=\"Get Thunderbird!\" src=\"http://sfx-images.mozilla.org/affiliates/thunderbird/thunderbird_small.png\"/></a>
<a href=\"http://my.opera.com/USERNAME/affiliate/\" title=\"Download Opera\" ><img src=\"http://promote.opera.com/small/opera88x31.png\" width=\"88\" height=\"31\" alt=\"Download Opera\" /></a>
ZeroX is offline  
Old 04-27-2005, 04:51 AM   #9 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
 
Apokalipse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 14,559
Default

do you want one partition or 2?

if you want one, you will have to delete both partitions in fdisk, create a new one and then format.
I wouldn't format in Fdisk, because you can format to NTFS with the XP CD anyway (DOS and 98 don't support NTFS)
it would just save time
__________________

__________________
Apokalipse is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:29 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.