i may have a bottleneck

Status
Not open for further replies.

waynejkruse10

Fully Optimized
some people think this is strange, but my 6600gt is 400/1000. I have a Athlon XP 2500+, 768mb DDR @ 333 (only 256mb is DDR 333).

Default speeds - 400/1000 - 7562 3DMark03
"Overclocked" Speeds - 500/1000 - 7568 3DMark03

Do you think my ram/cpu is bottlenecking?

Well like I said in that 3dmark scores thread, I think you just raised your 2D mode clock....which will do absolutely nothing...that 6 points you saw is just simply because you'll never get the exact same score generally.

aaaand, if you had raised the core 100Mhz you definitely would have noticed a difference, which basically proves that you've been looking at the 2D mode this entire time which is set at 400MHz and not the 3D mode which is the one you should be raising....it'd be impossible to raise it 100Mhz and not see a difference in scores

When your graphics card is simply displaying windows, that = 2D mode.

When it goes into actual gameplay which is 3d rendering, that's 3D mode.

I just commented in the 3dmark score thread again, but yeah basically you were simply overclocking the core which is simply displaying windows desktop and whatnot.

I assume it does this to keep the temps down....6800GT's however, the 2D and 3D are the same....350MHz core...however I overclock my 3D to 400MHz because my 3D is at 440MHz so I'd rather it not take a huge leap from 350 to 440....don't know if it makes a difference really but, I feel better with it simply jumping from 400 to 440 and I don't have to worry about temps since it's water cooled.

well ill look at my temps and make sure im not screwing with anything i shouldnt be.

Whats more important, clock or memory?

If you underclock the 2d performance, will your card run cooler in windows when you dont need the performance?

Actaully u will have to watch the temps
I assume you're talking to wayne right? Cause generally yeah, the stock coolers for the 6600GT's didn't impress me much.

Core clock is more important...they both help you get extra FPS, but it's increasing the clock that you'll notice the most difference in overclocking.

If you underclock the 2d performance, will your card run cooler in windows when you dont need the performance?
Meh, it might run a tad bit cooler in windows, but then all you're doing is increasing the jump it makes to the 3D mode which will then increase the difference in temps between idle in windows and full load gaming.

IMO, definitely an opinion here, it's best to try and keep your temperature ranges as close as possible...goes back to those conversations we've had before about the expanding of the transistors and crap which mainly applied to those 'better to leave it on' threads

but I mean, by all means yeah I suppose you COULD lower the 2D, but it's something I personally wouldn't do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom