i just bought 128mb of rd ram, they wont work! - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-25-2005, 02:36 PM   #11 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS

I am assuming the last number is a timing, I have never actually seen the last number on RD RAM before.

Also remeber, you need to have RD RAM in matched pairs, so find your motherboard manual and see which slots for what configuartions you put it in. RD RAM by far is the hardest ram to use.

And if you cant find your manual find one online, or just try every combo of posistions for the ram. RD-RAM HAS to run in Dual Channel

Old 07-25-2005, 07:42 PM   #12 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

hmm... using Rambus... well, thats points to alot of the possible problem right there. Rambus has many limits to it. It must be in matched pairs, also make sure if there are anymore RD slots, you have it properly terminated. Also, at one point in time MS had an issue where Rambus would only be recognized upto 512 meg of memory, you may want to see about windows updates as well as bios updates. It sounds though like you have a problem with matched pairs. You, I'm guessing, have 2x256 and are adding 1x128, well you need another 1x128 or (not sure if its available this small for Rambus, I don't think it is) got a 2x64. Syntax, think you need to work on the social skills a bit.

EDIT: Sorry DJChris, just now realized you pretty much posted the same thing.

I am not a fast writer.
I am not a slow writer.
I am a half-fast writer.

-Robert Asprin
Old 07-25-2005, 08:04 PM   #13 (permalink)
Master Techie

The matched pairs need to be in contiguous slots and the new memory would be replaced in the slots that you removed the Rimms from. The 256's side by side and the 128's same. Having owned several of these boards, I have experienced a problem with running 2x 256 and 2 x 128 before. When they were all the same mb ratings, no problem on intel boards but if mismatched, no dice. on abit boards, no problem. What type of mobo are u running?
Old 07-25-2005, 08:31 PM   #14 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS

Well you forgot you need those little sticks in the rest of your ram slots.

I hate RD RAM, most people don't know about it that much here because we stayed far away from it
Old 07-25-2005, 09:00 PM   #15 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

yep, the little terminators. I don't like rambus, either. I know enough about it, though. I'd do what was suggested above by running with just the 128 and see if it has a problem. If it doesn't and its only in the config of 2x256/2x64 then he may need a bios update.

I am not a fast writer.
I am not a slow writer.
I am a half-fast writer.

-Robert Asprin
Closed Thread