I have 1GB of RAM but my pc says I only have 768MB

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucas20042004

Solid State Member
I recently built a new computer. I used 512mb of pc3200 ram and 512mb of pc2700 ram. The first time I used it I ran dxdiag and it said I have 1GB. But now when I run dxdiag it says I only have 768mb. Whats wrong?

Thanks

right click my computer>>properties. What does it say there? Also what does it say when it boots up? You may have a stick going bad.

Do you have Memory Sharing Enabled in BIOS 256MB for Integrated Video?

If your motherboard supports PC3200 @ 400MHz - running a PC2700 @ 333MHz will underclock the PC3200 to 333MHz. Slightly hindering your performance. Yeah, you will have an extra 512MB of memory. If your motherboard supports dualchannel memory, "I don't believe it will be used if you are running two different speeds even though one wil lbe under clocked." Although i'm not exactly sure about that.

Buy another 512MB of Corsair Value Select for like $50.00 bag the PC2700 and call it a day.

You're better off with 512mb of PC3200 than 1gb of PC2700 IMO...just simply add another stick later like havoc suggested.

He's also correct about the shared video...

also try CPU-Z and see what it says although I have a feeling it'll come to the same conclusion...

also hitting CTRL+ALT+DELETE then going over to the performance tab will tell you how much near the bottom left, but it'll be displayed as bytes not mb

your motherboard might not support 1GB RAM
it's the same with my motherboard. I have 2x256 sticks and a 512 (all SDRAM, haha) but only sees the 512 as 256, because it doesn't support more than that

I think what you are looking at with that number is the reserved, whatever it is that Windows uses or something like that.

-Rayn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom