I did not see this comming until today! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 03-18-2006, 02:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
Send a message via Yahoo to syringe
Default I did not see this comming until today!

When will it ever end? Now we know why LCD / Monitor prices have been steadily falling.

"You see, although Windows Vista will be released later this year, most of the monitors on the market today lack the HDCP support needed for high-resolution playback of HD-DVD and Blu-Ray discs on your PC. In fact, there are only 12 monitors that we know of that support HDCP. In short, not only will you need to buy a new graphics card for Windows Vista, if you’d like full-resolution HD-DVD or Blu-Ray, you’ll also need a brand-new monitor"

Old 03-18-2006, 02:21 PM   #2 (permalink)
Field Engineer
Send a message via AIM to SHAWN

I read that a while ago. Sucks dont it...Just when you go and buy something, something else comes out.

A+, Network + , HP Certified Tech and MCP

Specs: AMD Phenom II X6 1095T, Asus M477TD, 8GB GSkill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 7-8-7-24 1T, 128GB Crucial M4 SSD, ATi HD4650, W7, 27" HL272 Monitor
Old 03-18-2006, 02:37 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

I have also read about (and posted it in a Vista discussion.) What I really want to know is if it will work with CRT monitors.

Cisco CCNA, Comptia A+, 1/3 through CCNP
Old 03-18-2006, 07:28 PM   #4 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

HDCP stands for High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection and it’s an Intel-initiated program that was developed with Silicon Image. Manufacturers participating in the program must pay an annual fee of $15,000 and a device fee of $0.005. This is a content protection system as opposed to a copy protection system. Essentially, this protocol ensures that high-definition content such as HD-DVD, Blu-Ray, and copy protected MPEG-2 is encrypted at every stage of the transmission. All HDCP does is guarantee that premium high-definition content can be output over a digital display interface such as HDMI or DVI. A lot of information can be found from Microsoft’s own documents on the Protected Video Pathway - Output Protection Management (PVP-OPM).
I hate Intel even more after reading that

I would say Vista probabbly will use CRT's, they will just restrict what they can display apparently...
Old 03-18-2006, 07:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Send a message via AIM to thebleakness

Originally posted by apokalipse
I hate Intel even more after reading that
Me too.

Microsoft is going on a little power trip with Vista, NOTHING out ATM is going to be good enough for it. This is ridicuous IMO.
Old 03-18-2006, 08:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

Old 03-18-2006, 11:18 PM   #7 (permalink)
True Techie
Send a message via Yahoo to syringe

This whitepaper is an interesting read. In a nutshell, unless Windows trusts both the video device and driver to output the encrypted signal rather than an unencrypted one, it won't play. It's then up to your monitor to do the decryption.
Old 03-19-2006, 12:00 AM   #8 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

aaaaaaaand this is why I was saying vista is shaping up to be a piece of crap "big brother-esque" style prison is because of crap like this.
Old 03-20-2006, 05:29 PM   #9 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Send a message via AIM to HAVOC Send a message via Yahoo to HAVOC

Microsoft is also pairing up with Samsung to put a ,"MUST HAVE HYBRID HDD'S for OEM computer builders to sell Vista Based PC's. Only Microsofts Premium OEM members will be able to sell, VISTA based PC's, with hybrid samsung drives.

That's why i've been swearing up and down the last few months on this forum about not buying a DX10 / G80 videocard based solely on needs of windows VISTA.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:19 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Techie

O..M...G say it aint so, luckily i didn't buy my samsung 940B yet... this is serisouly ****ing me off.

NZXT Tempest
Gigabyte EP45-UD3P
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
Corsair Dominator 4GB
Ultra LSP 750W
Closed Thread