i bought a Maxtor 160GB Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Go into your BIOS, and go to find where you detect the hardrive, redetect it and you will be able to partition the rest. I had the same problem with my Seagate 200 Gig, it was only showing 130 gig, so that should work!

Do what I said above if the jumper doesn't work, because if that isn't the problem this is, and if this ends up not working return the HD, get a new one, but if you have windows XP Pro, it has a partioner built in, just right click on my comp and go to "manage", then a screen will pop up, clcik on storage, then disk managment, and you can click on partitions, repartition and even format, convert to Fat32, and so on.

thanks but it is windows xp home edition hey do they have a partitioner on windows 2000

i found out how to partition the hard drive on home edition but it says it only has 34GB so it will partition some that i choose then all that is left is like 222MB that i can partition

i found a way to partition in home edition but it only lets me do it with what i have 34GB and nothing seems to be reading that i really have 160GB could there be a problem in the manufacture and they ended up with 34GB

1 quick question. Did you ever check and see if there was a jumper on the back of the drive limiting the capacity?

This is what the jumper pins look like.
CopyofJumperCloseup.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom