i bought a Maxtor 160GB Hard Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

rooster

Baseband Member
I installed this hard drive and my bios and Xp notices it and it says it is only 30GB

how can i partition it to fit in with the 137GB limits:mad:

Check the documentation that came with the Hard drive.

You more than likely have the limiting jumper installed on the back of it. Once you remove it you will get the full capacity (assuming you have SP1a or SP3 installed also)

what i am kinda new at this stuff i can install hard drives and stuff but never had to go through with this

It should be ok without it. You'll just have to use 2 partitions.

For the 30GB problem, look on the back of the drive. You should see where the IDE cable goes in, and where the power cable goes in. Between them is another set of 8-10 pins. 2 of those pins at least should have a jumper (a little piece of plastic that bridges the gap between the pins) on them.

If there are 2 jumpers, read the documentation that came with the HD and remove the one that limits the drive's capacity. If there's only one, just pull it of and have fun :D.

The reason they have these jumpers is for backwards compatability with legacy BIOS's. Sometimes if you have an older BIOS, it won't recognize a drive that's above 30GB.

I had the same issue. All you have to do is split it in half making two equal partitions. I now have two partitions that are approx. 95GB each.

-Dan The Man

thanks but to partition you have to buy partition software and i cant find anything free i looked everywhere

Hey why wont it load my new bios at the begining of windows that is on my Floppy drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom