i am buying a laptop, what is more important L2 cache or fsb speed ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

User Name

Beta member
i am buying a laptop, what is more important L2 cache or fsb speed ?

also what laptop would be faster out of these two

first (small cache more cpu power)

second (bigger cache less cpu power)

as you can tell i am on a budget, so if you can, please recommend any cheap laptops too

thanks in advance

Most people here might tell you the AMD system. But I would say the Celeron, since it's based on the Pentium M. It would be different if we were talking about the Turion64.

thanks for your reply ! also what's with the cache, how does this affect performance ?

and should i look for bigger cache or faster fsb ?

Cache is the memory on the CPU-die. It's extremely fast compared to main memory. So more of this really helps. As to bigger cache or faster fsb it depends on which proc's your comparing. The Sempron has the much faster FSB/HT that allows it to comunicate with the system memory much faster, but the Celeron M, being based on the Pentium M is a more efficient Proc, so with that and the bigger cache, the celeron M is the better pick here.

aha, thanks i'll go for the Celeron based laptop, also i think it'll take upto 2gigs of ram, if i max it out will this increase speed alot or just make it eat batteries faster ?

sorry for being such a dunce

RAM doesn't really eat your battery. 2 Gigs is overkill most times tho. 1 Gig is more than enough, unless your doing serious video editing, in which case you really shoulden't get either one of these procs.

so games and video will run better with a bigger proccessor and less ram, than a smaller proccessor with lots of ram ?

Depends on the game and the proc. Neither one of the procs are going to be great for gaming, they'll run them, but nowhere near maxed out, and it depends on your Graphics card to for games. Other people will have to say more about gaming, I dont' really do any. Of those two computers you picked, the Celeron M will be better for everyday use.

right, the games i play are mostly redalert 2/old strategy type games and maybe a few racers too

i am just getting a bit anoyed at this dell latitude, pIII 650mhz, 128mb pc100 ram, held together with duct tape, piece o' crap that keeps crashing ect, not bad if you don't mind waiting 5/7mins for xp to load or 2/4 mins for firefox to do it's thing, so i am opting for a cheap lappy, because i move arround frequently so a desktop would be out of the question.

thanks for your help, i'll go for the Celeron M, that should be good enough ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom