Hybernate / Standby

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use standby when I'm going to be elsewhere, but want to be able to hop back on my comp at a moments notice. I've never had any problems with it thus far.

On some machines, standby and hibernate can disconnect LAN connections (LAN card no longer active in communicating with machine), so you have to re-boot to get them back again.

If I have lots of windows open that I'm working on & want to come back to them without having to save/re-open them all, standby works well for me. However, if the battery on the notebook, or the UPS for the desktop, ever died while in Standby, I'd lose everything because it's NOT written to the HDD in Standby.

In Hibernate, the entire session (including all windows, applications, data, etc.) is written to the HDD. If power fails, it doesn't matter since it is all restored from the HDD.

Does that help explain better?
Cheers, Norm.

Saving data that's in an application is done with the "Save" or "Save As" functions in that application. Yes, that's an immediate file save to the HDD.

I'm talking about an O/S "suspend" mode. Standby just "puts a bookmark" in your place so you can come back to it. Just hope that somebody doesn't come along, pick up the book, and let your bookmark fall out... if you get the analogy...

That's why Hibernate is safer. ALL the O/S status info, PLUS all the applications' status, PLUS all the data, are all written to the HDD in a kind of "clip-on bookmark" (if you will) that's harder to "shake loose" or "fall out of the book".

However, some machines have downsides to using them, and I've only mentioned the one I'm familiar with. There's another when Standby or Hibernate fail for some reason, and you can't get your previous position/data back exactly where it was. There are probably other disadvantages/risks. Besides, Windows ain't exactly the most stable O/S anyway, is it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom