Hummm..Petabytes?

Status
Not open for further replies.
ekÆsine said:
I'm thinking this article is BS. Crazy people with crazy ideas. they are just overly ambitious at this point. if they can show us a prototype that works than maybe they have a chance. By 2010 they said...that's definately BS, it will be at least another 15-20 years from now. As far as filling a petabyte disk, that won't be too hard. I've got a lot of pr0n waiting to be archived.

Maybe, but remember...Bill gates said 640k would be enough for everyone

Themajor that's what I meant. People will want more storage. a petabyte won't be too hard to fill in a few years. If nothing else it can be useful in a movie server

True. It will be very useful for all kinds of FTP fileservers etc. They would have to use another filesystem though, or split everything in lots of partitions.

1 Petabyte is like 1000terabyte right?

that dna read was cool. Imagion a custom computer that was not lights, paint and mods but yourself, your own personal dna in a pc, then we could really see who has the fastest DNA, er, i mean computer

The major - a Petabyte is One Million Gigabytes so yeah I believe that's 1000 terabytes......ehh don't feel like doin the math lol.

I remember back in 1993, I had a PC with a 10gig hard-drive, and I was stoked

Are you sure about that? I got a macintosh in 1995 63MHz, 8mb of memory and an 800mb hard drive at which point 1gb had JUST been introduced and the only people who even needed those were like math professors... cause most people thought ' NO ONE can fill that up' but like you said times change and games are getting huge.

And I think it was halo who says he's only used 13gb of his 80gb, well you don't download like the rest of us ;) I've had to burn stuff to many CD's or erase a lot of stuff just to prevent my 80gb from getting full and it's a complete backup drive cause I got a 20gb for my main HD.... as for one million gigabytes being filled, yeah I can see it happening cause more than likely in 15 years games will be like 15-20gbs in size lol.

Also I read a thing, similar to the DNA article, regarding being able to put information in a brain cell. I believe it could hold like one million billion gigabytes of data if they could actually write info to it lol, I don't know it was pretty freakin insane. It was based off of 'How fast is our brain in comparison to processors' and 'how much storage capacity does our brain have?'

Our brain can process information at the speed of like millions of processors put together, but unlike a computer we can't actually do an intense mathematical computation in that one second :p

Ill take two barin cell computers..Ill have to put one of them on layaway though. That would be a very expensive mother.
I can donate a few cells if they need them too.

Halo said:
The reason I don't download a lot of stuff is because I don't know if I'm gonna use it a lot. I may like messsing with pictures with picture programs now, but what about later? You see what I mean? THe only main things I'm concentrated on putting on my hard drive are good games and good apps.:confused:

Just remember, there is always the option of deleting and even defragmenting. For all you could tell, it will be like you never used that space in the first place. It will be ok.

id want it :p then i could have all the anime in the world.. or possibly download the internet (ROFL) i only have about 10g of space left

1 megabyte = 1 MB = 1 048 576 bytes

1 gigabyte = 1 GB = 1 073 741 824 bytes

1 terabyte = 1 TB = 1 099 511 627 776 bytes

1 petabyte = 1 PB = 1 125 899 906 842 624 bytes

1 exabyte = 1 EB = 1 152 921 504 606 846 976 bytes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom