a huge problem really need help - Page 7 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2004, 12:24 PM   #61 (permalink)
Junior Techie

New processor has arrived and I am up and running.

Old 09-15-2004, 01:08 PM   #62 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Kool.

"It's not a good idea to remove the processor unless your replacing or upgrading your computer."

4 questions:

1. Why not?
2. Does getting a new hsf count?
3. Is the thermal pad the silver thingy on top of the green thingy in P4 processors?
4. How long does it take for the thermal pad to melt?

Old 09-16-2004, 09:32 AM   #63 (permalink)
Junior Techie

thermal pad will be attached to the bottom of the heatsink, not on top of the processor.

Not sure how long it takes for the pad to melt, but not very long I don't believe.
Old 09-16-2004, 10:45 AM   #64 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Nuts. Well, I imagine that by the time I save up for a couple o' fans, mine will have melted, making it THAT much harder to get the goop off. And, so, the silver thingy on top of the green thingy in the actual CPU, is just part of the processor. Ah so.
Old 09-16-2004, 04:46 PM   #65 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Quote:
"It's not a good idea to remove the processor unless your replacing or upgrading your computer."
Lemme rephrase that quote of his...its not a good idea if you don't know what the hell you are doing. It's perfectly fine if you DO know what you're doing. A thermal pad is the equivelant of WAX practically.....if you sat there and lit up a lighter for 10 seconds......put out the flame then put the metal piece of the lighter to the thermal pad...itd melt around the metal part of the lighter right then in there....simple as that..the as soon as the CPU becomes even remotely hot, around 90F that thing will start to melt. Pads are inefficient and usually only come on the stock heatsinks...you DO NOT PUT THERMAL COMPOUND ONTOP OF A THERMAL PAD. The thermal pad is not just 'some goop' to get off Regulus....those really aren't meant to be removed but can be. You'd be better off getting an aftermarket heatsink out of copper.

Closed Thread