a huge problem really need help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kool.

"It's not a good idea to remove the processor unless your replacing or upgrading your computer."

4 questions:

1. Why not?
2. Does getting a new hsf count?
3. Is the thermal pad the silver thingy on top of the green thingy in P4 processors?
4. How long does it take for the thermal pad to melt?

thermal pad will be attached to the bottom of the heatsink, not on top of the processor.

Not sure how long it takes for the pad to melt, but not very long I don't believe.

Nuts. Well, I imagine that by the time I save up for a couple o' fans, mine will have melted, making it THAT much harder to get the goop off. And, so, the silver thingy on top of the green thingy in the actual CPU, is just part of the processor. Ah so.

"It's not a good idea to remove the processor unless your replacing or upgrading your computer."

Lemme rephrase that quote of his...its not a good idea if you don't know what the hell you are doing. It's perfectly fine if you DO know what you're doing. A thermal pad is the equivelant of WAX practically.....if you sat there and lit up a lighter for 10 seconds......put out the flame then put the metal piece of the lighter to the thermal pad...itd melt around the metal part of the lighter right then in there....simple as that..the as soon as the CPU becomes even remotely hot, around 90F that thing will start to melt. Pads are inefficient and usually only come on the stock heatsinks...you DO NOT PUT THERMAL COMPOUND ONTOP OF A THERMAL PAD. The thermal pad is not just 'some goop' to get off Regulus....those really aren't meant to be removed but can be. You'd be better off getting an aftermarket heatsink out of copper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom