How to use data cartridge and tape drive.

rupeshforu3

Baseband Member
Hi I am Rupesh from India and I have large amount of data in internal hard disk of my PC and I want to backup to removable storage like tape cartridge or external hard disk.

I want to move up to 700 GB of data from internal hard disk of my PC to tape drive or external hard disk and so I am searching for cheapest method.

So I want secondary storage of size 2 tb and I have examined storage such as external hard disk such as segate expansion, data cartridge such as "HP LTO 6 Ultrium 2.5/6.25 TB MP RW Data Cartridge (C7976A)", blue ray DVDs etc.,.

Upon examining the above storage technologies I came to decision that data cartridge is the cheap and best.

As I am from India I have searched for data cartridge in amazon.in and found that it costs 2900 rupees for
"HP LTO 6 Ultrium 2.5/6.25 TB MP RW Data Cartridge (C7976A)". For segate expansion disk the cost is 6400 Indian currency.

Up to now I have used a variety of storages such as sata,ide hard disks and segate expansion disk of size 1 tb, micro SD card, 3.5 inch floppy disk, compact disk ie., CDs, DVDs, USB pen drive etc. I have never used data cartridge before and even I have not seen it.

Now the issue is how to attach data cartridge to a PC and transfer files between PC and the data cartridge. What I am expecting is does the data cartridge itself can be connected directly to a PC through USB or it must be inserted in a drive and then connect the drive to a PC.

Data cartridge costs up to 3000 rupees Indian currency but can anyone of you guess how much tape drive costs and specify it. Also if you don't mind can you suggest where I can buy tape drive in India.

Regards,
Rupesh.

You'd need to buy a writer for the LTO cartridges, and AFAIK they're several thousand dollars.
best bet for something that small is an external HDD.
Cheapest may actually be a blu-ray writer with a few disks :tongue:

First I thought data cartridge itself has a way to attach to PC through USB like pen drive and so in order to clarify doubts I have created this thread.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Back
Top Bottom