How to use data cartridge and tape drive. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login

Old 07-17-2018, 12:37 AM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default How to use data cartridge and tape drive.

Hi I am Rupesh from India and I have large amount of data in internal hard disk of my PC and I want to backup to removable storage like tape cartridge or external hard disk.

I want to move up to 700 GB of data from internal hard disk of my PC to tape drive or external hard disk and so I am searching for cheapest method.

So I want secondary storage of size 2 tb and I have examined storage such as external hard disk such as segate expansion, data cartridge such as "HP LTO 6 Ultrium 2.5/6.25 TB MP RW Data Cartridge (C7976A)", blue ray DVDs etc.,.

Upon examining the above storage technologies I came to decision that data cartridge is the cheap and best.

As I am from India I have searched for data cartridge in amazon.in and found that it costs 2900 rupees for
"HP LTO 6 Ultrium 2.5/6.25 TB MP RW Data Cartridge (C7976A)". For segate expansion disk the cost is 6400 Indian currency.

Up to now I have used a variety of storages such as sata,ide hard disks and segate expansion disk of size 1 tb, micro SD card, 3.5 inch floppy disk, compact disk ie., CDs, DVDs, USB pen drive etc. I have never used data cartridge before and even I have not seen it.

Now the issue is how to attach data cartridge to a PC and transfer files between PC and the data cartridge. What I am expecting is does the data cartridge itself can be connected directly to a PC through USB or it must be inserted in a drive and then connect the drive to a PC.

Data cartridge costs up to 3000 rupees Indian currency but can anyone of you guess how much tape drive costs and specify it. Also if you don't mind can you suggest where I can buy tape drive in India.

Regards,
Rupesh.

Old 07-18-2018, 12:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: How to use data cartridge and tape drive.

You'd need to buy a writer for the LTO cartridges, and AFAIK they're several thousand dollars.
best bet for something that small is an external HDD.
Cheapest may actually be a blu-ray writer with a few disks

iFargle.com
7700k 32GB RAM 512GB 960 Pro GTX 1080 NCase M1
15" Retina MBP || 128GB OnePlus 6 || 64GB iPad Air 2
Battle.net: iFargle #1561 || Steam: iFargle
iFargle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 10:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Build Guru

For tapes you also need a climate controlled cool and dry environment to store them.

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 07:43 AM   #4 (permalink)
Newb Techie

First I thought data cartridge itself has a way to attach to PC through USB like pen drive and so in order to clarify doubts I have created this thread.

Thanks for your suggestions.