how upgradeable is my computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hello_tully

Solid State Member
I've got a gateway 700X PC that I purchased in January of 2002. It is a P4 2.0Ghz with 256MB RDRAM. The motherboard is an Intel 850 ATX, information for which can be found here:

http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERBD/INTEL/2515762/8508314.pdf

My video card is a GeForce2 MMX400.

I'm debating getting a new computer or trying to upgrade this one. I would like for it to be able to play current games without having to lower the video settings too much.

If you had like $400 to spend on upgrading here, what would you do?

Well, considering a decent stick of 512MB RDRAM is about $210, and the fact that your board's FSB cap is 400Mhz I would say building/purchasing a new system would be the route I would take.

If you had like $400 to spend on upgrading here, what would you do?
Well, your processor is pretty much maxed out, which leaves upgrading the memory and the vid card.

thanks for the quick reply. let's say I did upgrade the video card and memory. 512MB total RDRAM and the best video card $200 could buy. would that make a big difference in playing games?

It would make a huge difference!!! and you dont have to pay 210 for a stick of ram... there are good sticks for just over 100 dollars.. check around on places like Newegg.com and tigerdirect..

you can get a 9800 pro for like 260 nowadays i think?...

He needs RDRAM not DDR Tony. I believe RDRAM runs a little more than DDR as well.
The video card looks fine, can't go wrong with a 9800 pro, unless you want to wait for the GeForce 6600 for AGP which will run about the same price me thinks?

yeah I have RDRAM, but suspect that for my needs 512MB in total is enough. i have 256mb in my computer right now and it looks like I could buy 256MB more for about $100 from newegg. is the radeon 9800 pro a good safe concensus choice for video card?

I just discovered that ATI reccommends a 300 watt power supply for the radeon 9800 pro. "ATI recommends a 300-Watt power supply or greater to ensure normal system operation where a number of other internal devices are installed."

What "other internal devices" are they talking about? All I have in my computer are the standard components -- I haven't bought anything to put inside the computer since its purchase. Will my power supply handle the 9800 pro then?

The 98000 Pro needs a connnection to the PSU. If you look at the picture of one you can see the slot on the rear of the card.

I'm sure the 9800 pro takes up some good wattage, so they are warning you to make sure you can spare some. My estimate on it's demands would be 70-90 watts, not too sure tho.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom