How to update Bios on new build?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidR

Beta member
Im getting ready to start my first build from scratch. Im going to buy a Asus a8n-sli board and the new 3700+ sandy core. Ive heard that you have to update the bios for the new sandy core to work. How do you update the bios on a new build?

You can download the update from the ASUS website and use the included utilities on the CD to flash your BIOS.

Forgive me if Im stupid in all of this, but from what Ive been hearing is that the computer wont POST without the update. Can you flash the BIOS without POSTing? Or is this wrong information as far as the POSTing is concerned? Im confused.

I dont know if that is right. If you're computer dosent POST, you have no way of accessing the floppy drive, in turn granting you no access to flashing your bios. POST stands for Power On Self Test, it is the very first thign your computer does when you turn it on. When your computer dosent post, you have major problems.

Unless you have to start it with a cpu that dosent need the update, flash it, turn it off, change the cpu, and then turn it back on. But that hardly seems practical.

Thanks for the info. I ended up calling Asus and they said that the computer should boot up and then I just need to load the latest BIOS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom