How to speed up my internet??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Check your bill to see how much you are paying for (Example: 1.5mb download 128kb upload). Then once you know what you should be getting test it by going here:
Speakeasy - Speed Test

Run a handfull of tests in various cities near you. At that point you can see if you are getting what you are paying for, or if there is an issue.

If you aren't getting the correct amount of bandwidth first look internally. Meaning you should see if you have spyware or virus's that are eating bandwith. After that you should check to see if you are sharing your bandwith with family members or roomates. After that and all else checks out you should call your ISP to talk with them about your bandwidth (assuming that for whatever reason you aren't receiving the bandwidth you are paying for).

If you are using an unsecured wireless router you may have other people "sharing" your wifi. Watch the activity lights when you have your computer off (so you have no activity on the network). If so, fire up some type of encryption ASAP.

Some Computers can slow to internet down what are you pc spec ands also
If you are using an unsecured wireless router you may have other people "sharing" your wifi.
Trotter is right my school network is secured but we still get in and slow it so make sure you have a password on your router

Is it just the internet being slow, or is every thing else slow too?

If you are on wireless, set a different wireless channel in your router settings.

Do you have other computers? How do they perform? What internet connection speed do you have, and what speeds are you getting?

Its just the dell (280 optiplex , 80BG harddrive, 512 MB ram, 3.0 GHz processor) i have downstairs in my room,and yes it just seem to be the internet which is connected with a wireless usb adapter. The main floor computer if running great now after a reinstall and clean out it is a wired connection same with the other one downstairs and it runs fine as well.

Try disabling all unecessary services and programs. Check for viruses and stuff. Re-install the LAN-drivers.

Personally, I would just re-install Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom