How relevant is it to have matching LCD monitors for dual screen? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 10-03-2011, 07:03 AM   #1 (permalink)
Wizard Techie
Send a message via AIM to Jayce
Default How relevant is it to have matching LCD monitors for dual screen?

I noticed I was having some video tearing on my Linux system when using the twinview mode between my two LCD monitors. After a little research it was suggested that my refresh rates between the two monitors did not match, and when I checked it was indeed off by a small margin. Further research suggested that was definitely my issue and matching monitors would put the card under a lot less stress and take away from the tearing. Despite the fact I had not noticed any tearing in Windows (in fact, the tearing I was seeing seemed to be limited to only Nvidia cards) I had noticed that my entire basis of reading this was not OS limited at all and that I was reading this from a hardware standpoint. Even users on Windows web sites were suggesting to buy monitors in identical pairs.

That being said I figured I would ask here... in the future as I replace monitors for my systems, would it be more beneficial to the hardware to get matching monitors? I'm trying to understand this on a more technical level as opposed to "just do it, it's better."

Any insight?

There's no place like /home.
Old 10-06-2011, 08:02 AM   #2 (permalink)
Call me Mak or K
Mod Emeritus
Default Re: How relevant is it to have matching LCD monitors for dual screen?

I have always used 2 different monitors for my dual screen setup. First it was a 19" CRT with 1600x1200 Resolution with my 19" LCD at 1280x1024. I had no issues with all the nVidia cards I used. Even in Linux. When I switched to my 22" WS HD LCD and removed my CRT I still dont have this issue. My refresh rates are both at 60Hz though. I know that within Linux they both were set to 59Hz and they worked fine with Twinview.

While I can see where people say using matching monitors would put less stress on the card, I have been doing this for at least 8 years now with no issues. What build of Linux are you using that this is happening in? Maybe there is a change in how the OS works with the drivers that is causing this?
I do not accept support questions via EMail, PM, IM or my G+ page!

Phone: LG Optimus G Pro
Running: Stock JB from LG with Nova Launcher

Closed Thread