How much will a VGA overclock help? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 10-19-2004, 08:57 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Default How much will a VGA overclock help?

How much of a difference will overclocking your VGA help? Is the card in my sig very overclockable at all, or should I not even bother with it?

Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through me". -John 14:6
Old 10-20-2004, 12:40 AM   #2 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Yeah that's a decent enough card, but games are getting pretty demanding today that you need to overclock quite a bit to get good results. With somethinglike doom3 you might gain 10FPS which is pretty decent with a good overclock. It's best if you have better than stock cooling or at least take off the stock heatsink and put on better compound. Search google for 'Coolbits Reg' and download that file and it'll unlock Overclocking Frequencies in the Nvidia control panel. I would say go for it. Just bump it up in 5Mhz increments and it won't allow you to set it until you test it. Keep bumping it up until it fails that test then bump it down about 8-10MHz than it was from the failed speeds. Good luck and happy OCing
Closed Thread