how much thermal paste?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaksback

Fully Optimized
Like a dumb ass I removed my fan and heat sink from the processor, I realized too late that I only had a little thermal paste left, just barely enough to cover the processor with a thin coating....is this going to be enough? I'd hate not to have put enough and the processor burn out on me. The temp of the processor according to the bios is 41c. Is this ok? Help please.

Whewee, thanks for the reassurance people. A thin coat is ALL it got. I went to work and left the computer on like I normally do (24/7 actually with the daily restart of course) and when I got back 7 hours later, I checked the temp which was bouncing between 37 and 38. It's a 2.0 Celeron, thought it was in the specs below but thanks for the reassurance regardless.

Where I really f'd up was thinking that there was no thermal tape or paste, and when I was taking the heat sink off, it felt like it was stuck and after a good pull it came off, processor and all!! You know how there is a small lever/locking arm for the processor socket, well, it was in the lock position still (or course) and I had bent up about 8 pins. I was kickin my ass for it. I VERY gently straightened them back out with a tiny screwdriver praying the whole time that one of the pins wouldn't break off. Thankfully none did. I would really have kicked myself in the ass if that had happened. Anyways all is well and it's running just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom