How much longer will AGP be around?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kray

Baseband Member
Is AGP likely to stick around for a few more years? Or is PCI-E domination just around the corner?

I ask because I am getting this board. It interfaces with either Socket 754 or 939. This is good for me because I can buy a cheaper 754 now and in a couple years get a 939 when I have the funds or they are cheaper (if they dont invent yet another socket).

The only thing is that this board supprts AGP instead of PCI-E. I know that currently there is no real difference but since PCI-E is newer, naturally more and more video cards will use PCI-E over AGP. So if I get this board it will mean being able to use only AGP cards which isn't so bad if they stay popular. However if PCI-E quickly takes over then I'm stuck with an AGP board.

Should I keep the AGP board with processor upgradability? If I do get a PCI-E board, it would have to be a Socket 754 due to my budget so that's the downside to that.

how much are you spending on a mobo? i think i saw an MSI one on newegg that has PCI-E, skt754 and was like 90. i would go with PCI-E though if in any way possible. also, whats ur budget?

Trying not to spend more than $120 on a mobo
$150 for video card

So you're saying that I should choose PCI-E with skt 754 over a skt-939 with AGP?

Kray said:
Trying not to spend more than $120 on a mobo
$150 for video card

So you're saying that I should choose PCI-E with skt 754 over a skt-939 with AGP?
Definitely not. Get AGP with socket 939 before you get PCI-express with socket 754 man. All of the newer processors are socket 939, and if you ever plan on upgrading that part, you'll need 939. However, graphics cards are currently BEING made for both AGP and PCI-express. They're making the 7800s for AGP, and I bet they'll even make the next set they come out with for AGP. Also, a 7800GTX (even if you buy it in the future) will be able to handle heavy graphics. It'll last you quite some time.

Not too long, but the question that this post has become is what will stick around longer... AGP or socket 754. They aren't making socket 754 processors anymore really (with the dual cores and whatnot coming out). AGP will be used for the 7600s and 7800s and MAYBE even the next set, which is still a long time down the road. Even after the set comes out that is only PCI-express, you can buy a card from a step down, and probably still be more than good to go. In fact, I'd say that my 6800GT will last me past this set of cards, straight to the next set before I even have to think about playing game without much AA. If I were you, I'd get the socket 939 board over the PCI-express board... wait, I did! However, it would be ideal if you could spend the extra money for a socket 939 with PCI-express. It is extra money now, but it'll save you a board upgrade in the future.

Alright thanks for your advice.

So I'm thinking of getting this board along with a 6600GT.

This is the board I mentioned in the first post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom