How many times can you reformat a HDD? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2005, 03:02 PM   #1 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris
Default How many times can you reformat a HDD?

How many times can you reformat a HDD? I've reformatted, partitioned, etc, etc, etc, at least over a 1000 times since XP came out on the same two HDDs. I get to a certain point of reformatting the drives a number of time, that I cant install any programs on my drive, so I have to switch my drive with a new one and everything works fine, but I can install XP fine. Right now I'm trying to install Symantec, when it gets halfway thru the install, I hear a small "click", Windows locks up and I have to reboot. So I was thinking my problem was reformatting my HDD to many times. I do this for testing purposes thats why I have done it so many times.

Old 06-25-2005, 03:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Theoretically there will be no limit, as when you reformat the magnetic structure of the disk will be 'refreshed' in a sense.

The clicking is usually due to head crash, the read/write head of the disk has hit the disk and scratched it, and it clicks when it goes over the groove. It cannot use that part of the disk.

\'There is only one basic human right, and that is to do as you **** well please.
And with it comes the only basic human duty, to take the consequences.\'

Old 06-25-2005, 04:19 PM   #3 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to Osiris Send a message via AIM to Osiris Send a message via MSN to Osiris Send a message via Yahoo to Osiris

So why do you think my HDD does this when install a program? I just installed XP and that went fine, but I cant install programs. Hmmm....
Old 06-25-2005, 04:20 PM   #4 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Just programs? Wierd. Maybe it's a coincidence that XP doesn't use any damaged parts of the disk, but programs do (if it is really damage).

\'There is only one basic human right, and that is to do as you **** well please.

Old 06-25-2005, 04:23 PM   #5 (permalink)

I just now tried to install Nero so I can burn DVDs, got about half way thru it, "click" "Freeze" had to reboot. I think I'm going to have to get a new HDD. This just happened recently.
Old 06-25-2005, 04:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Monster Techie

OK I got an idea, try making a partition and installing to that instead.

Old 06-25-2005, 05:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

Make another to the one I have now right?
Old 06-25-2005, 05:15 PM   #8 (permalink)
Monster Techie

Well just have an XP partition, and install XP onto it, and then have another partition and install programs onto that one. Make them about half the drive size each. It's worth a try.

Old 06-25-2005, 05:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

I ran Nero again and it went thru. It wont let me select an installation destination. I ran the update and it worked fine. Now I'm going to try and copy a dvd.